New door: lock options?

We're about to replace our 19-year old front door with a UPVC type. I understand there are two options for the locking mechanism on these modern doors:

- key type

- lever/lever type

I would be grateful for some advice about how these work and their respective pros/cons please.

The following scenarios are those we need to consider:

1) One of us leaves the house for an all-day absence, leaving the other at home.

At present with our existing door the leaver closes the door behind him/her. It's then locked. And unlocked with a key when that person returns or the door is opened by the person remaining inside.

As we understand it, the lever type would have to be locked and unlocked with a key. And the key could not conveniently be left in the inside lock because that would prevent the person's unassisted re-entry.

2) The door is opened for a visitor or postman etc. At present, no key is needed.

Again, the lever type would presumably have to be locked and unlocked with a key? And as 1 above, the key could not conveniently be left in the inside lock.

3) Either of us leave the house briefly, perhaps to go into the garage or garden.

The lever type seems convenient for that.

Unless we've misunderstood, unlike our present door, the key type has no 'on-the-latch' facility. So a key would always be needed. Which would be inconvenient if bringing in a couple of bottles of wine or whatever from the garage.

4) Both of us leave for long absences.

No problem with either type. Both require external use of a key and both, we gather, are equally secure?

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

The message from Terry Pinnell contains these words:

This seems rather confused.

By "key type" do you mean a "Yale-type" key -- i.e. a cylinder lock? By "lever type" do you mean a lever-type lock operated by a key with a round shank and a metal "bit" at right angles to the shank at the end of it, cut in such a way as to operate the levers of the lock?

True. Which is why it's often used in combination with a separate night latch ("Yale" lock).

Can't really see the relevance of that. You'd need a key of some sort if the door were locked.

A mortice deadlock with a bitted key is one of the more secure methods of locking a door. Not one of the more convenient ones, though, which is one reason why cylinder locks are popular. A cylinder lock with key operation from the outside, thumb-turn operation from the inside and a springbold connected to the handles is the most popular form of lock. The key can be made to operate the springbolt (as well as the deadlock) from the outside, therey obviating the need for a handle on the outside if desired.

Reply to
Appin