new door for Marley precast concrete garage

I have a 1960s Marley precast concrete garage.

The retatable mechanism for the original steel up & over door has fallen apart & anyway I would like to replace the door.

I am thinking of a DIY replacement with a simple canopy up & over ( the garage is used for storage & not a vehicle) using eg wicks

either GRP or steel in a pre hung steel frame. I can order the frame size for either fitting between the opening or behind the opening.

Either way , of course, I will have the issue of fixing the steel frame to the pre cast concrete.

Does anybody have any experience of drilling / fixing to pre cast in these circumstances ?

Even if I go for installing a timber frame I guess that I will have similar fixing issues.

Of course the existing gear is fixed to the concrete. I am not sure but this may be by bolt studs manufactured into the concrete ?

Thanks for any advice

Regards

Richard

Reply to
Richard Morley

The pre-cast can be drilled in much the same way as ordinary concrete. Just be aware that there *may* be steel reinforcing inside.

Conventional bolts are fine for the new fixings.

Check out Fleabay for an electric opener at the same time.