New DG gap?

We are halfway through the new DG being installed, very good job it looks too, apart from one thing....

They have sealed up all the way around the frame and under the sill, but there is a 3/8" gap between top of the sloping sill and the frame which looks rather odd. It goes back quite away under the frame.

Before I leave instructions to complain about the gap, is it normal to have that open gap?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Depends on the slope of the sill. Mine have a gap of about 1/16". IIRC, the sill goes in first and the frame sits on top. There are drain slots in the opening in case any water gets past the seals and that would then drip onto the sill and run away.

Reply to
FredCarnot

Yes. If you seal it up, the frame will fill with water given that it's hollow

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks, I'll keep the mouth firmly shut then :-Z

They have got all the upper floor done and a small one at ground level. It was the one at ground level where I noticed the gap first, then on checking the upstairs they were the same.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It might be worth checking that the sealant goes back to the upstand on the sill at the back of this gap at each end. If it doesn't there is a nice little hole for rain to get blown through and into the wall...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks, I'll see if I can check that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've just installed a couple of secondhand uPVC windows in my garage. They have the same gap above the cill and I was planning to fill it with silicone, caulk or mastic, purely for the sake of the appearance. But when I checked the professionally installed windows in my house I was surprised to find exactly the same gap: I'd either never noticed it, or noticed it and forgotten all about it: in my experience, things that glare at you when they're new can very quickly fade into insignificance.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules