New cordless drill: which?

Sorry to be asking an old chestnut, but the last posts I saved with this titles are dated 2004 (!!??), and the several screwfix links quoted there are "no longer available", unsurprisingly. (Reading between the lines I guess they referred to Bosch or Makita products.)

My cordless drills are giving out (or rather the batteries are). True to the form predicted in this august Group, one was a bargain at Aldi, and one is a B&D which so old I can't remember when I bought it at B&Q. No complaints: they have given great service for the price they cost.

However the game has changed: I have big projects (for me) lined up (e.g the design and erection of a shed). I have mains powered drills (old, low-end Bosch but they work), but this shed is going to be at the other end of the garden and I don't want to be working at the end of 25 meters of crappy extension cable.

So: I'd like something with a fair amount of oomf, (with hammer capability??) and good battery life.

Like I say, sorry for raising an old chestnut, but there again: this is a popular recurring topic in the group!

Oh: price. Well. I suppose I'll say between 50 and 100. My wife would have a fit if I paid more. Or should I say if she knew I'd paid more.

Cheers John

Reply to
John L

Check out the current Screwfix special offers - there's 3 just on the front page!

Reply to
dom

Screwfix Bosch Li-ion : three small batteries for =A3170 Full-size (double) batteries are =A370 from eBay

Toolstation AEG Li-ion: two larger batteries, =A3200

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The game has changed, look at impact drivers for doing alot of big screws. Bosch and Makita are top line, B&D has always been at the bottom so if you were ok with B&D a Bosch or Makita will be like heaven

Reply to
ransley

In article , John L writes

Looks like you need to tune your googledar:

of the latest 6 post are cordless drills, all in January this year.

Reply to
fred

As you'll be needing an impact driver as well to build your shed you could do worse than look at this set:

often have this pair for 100 pounds but don't seem to at the moment. I've been using these, and lots of other in the One+ series, for a couple of years, no complaints.

Reply to
pcb1962

Have a look at the Makita made Site range from Screwfix. Unbelievable deals. Machines only come with 1.3 a/hr Ni/Cd's but thats not a real problem cos you get 3. If you went for a 14.4v driver & a 14.4v combi (with hammer) you would end up with 6 batteries & 2 chargers - £140 for the lot.

've been running a 14.4v Mak with 1.3 a/hr Ni/Cd's for 3 years trade use & only just had to change the batteries.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Neither the picture or the description are for an impact driver so be careful of what you are buying.

Reply to
dennis

Sadly I've even seen Bosch calling an ordinary hammer drill an impact type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're right, I didn't look too closely at the picture. The set I had in mind, which doesn't seem to be available any more, included this driver, which is an excellent tool:

=A3100 for the pair with 2 batteries and a charger the Screwfix offer was something of a bargain.

Reply to
pcb1962