new consumer unit backboard

shortly to be relocating a consumer unit from a cupboard (which will become a WC) to a small constructed wooden cabinet outside said cupboard.

Can I use 18mm ply as the backplane for the consumer unit to mount onto? I'll need to extend the circuits to the new location - so what's the neatest way? junction box for each circuit?

thanks,

Jim

Reply to
JJJ

Crimps, but practice first. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Not a problem for a modern consumer unit. I wouldn't fit an old fuse box, though.

No. Use appropriate crimps applied using a decent ratchet style crimper.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

... snipped

Is there any problem with mounting a CU directly onto masonry?

Reply to
Dave

No, but it makes it harder to attach and route cables.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't forget that CUs have knockouts into which grommets can be inserted.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't think I've seen this kind of thing for domestic wiring - can you point me in the right direction? brand name, type of crimp connector etc?

thanks,

Jim

Reply to
JJJ

Are these the same type of crimps that you use for automotive wiring? I found a ratchet type draper crimper and various crimp connectors over at tooled-up.com - is this the type of thing you mean?

Once you've crimped the conductors together, do you just bind the whole thing up in insulating tape?

Is this good enough for ring main circuits, shower circuits etc?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
JJJ

Or use heat-shrink sleeving, if you don't want the whole lot to turn into a big gooey mess at some point in the future.

Only if the crimps are appropriately rated for current. I would never use crimps on a shower circuit, for example.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Al Reynolds

They're nothing special. Just insulated butt crimps with a standard ratchet crimper. Available from almost any electrical wholesaler or DIY shop.

items:

53586 (ratchet crimper) 68415 (red butt crimp) 95245 (blue butt crimp) 85191 (yellow butt crimp)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

OK. Thanks to all replies. A big help.

Jim

Reply to
JJJ

Stating the obvious maybe, but you still need to additionally insulate or house the crimped joints in an enclosure.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, I should probably have given the codes for heatshrink tubing, too...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Could you? I'm running out and my local store has stopped selling it. I need stuff to cover 2.5mm2 T+E.

Thanks, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

11950. ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Go to the TLC website if you need to mail order

But any electrical wholesaler worthy of the name will have crimps, the crimp tool and heat shrink sleeving. Probably not a shed, though.

If you're not sure about this, give your area and perhaps someone can recommend a specific dealer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)