New concrete slab, how long before tiling

Had a 150mm concrete base laid for new conservatory 2 weeks ago.

It is, and will be exposed to the elements for a further 3 weeks approx until the glass goes in.

How long until I can lay tiles on it.? 3 Months? Say end of January?

Any observations?

Thanks

Don

Reply to
Donwill

Standard proceedure for painting a concrete floor is to tape a small sheet of clear plastic down, or lay down a rubber car mat. When you can't see any more condensation on the sheet/mat its dry enough. Guess this also applies to tiling.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

whenever you feel like it really.

After 4-6weeks it will be full strength anyway, and then tile away.

Its probably more important that its fairly dry.. so leave it a few days after the glazing goes in and tile tile tile.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

to be honest, I mustt have added about a gallon of water per square meter in the tile cement when I laid mind, very thick bedded over a very uneven screed.

I don't think dampness is an issue at all with tiling. It will eventually dry out via the grout anyway, and slow drying is fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Donwill wibbled on Saturday 03 October 2009 13:35

A week per inch is a reasonable rule of thumb. I'd give it a couple of weeks after the glass goes in or until it looks reasonably dry. It will certainly have had a pretty decent cure by then so it should be stable and pretty much as solid as it's likely to get.

Reply to
Tim W

In message , Tim W writes

Thread high jack alert!

Does *dry mix* screed need to be sealed before ceramic tiling?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No.

Sealing is for painting, although paint itself will seal, and to stop dust when the layer above is floating. Or before e.g. doing self levelling, to slow rate of water absorption.

With a decent tile cement, you effectively get a BIT of suck from the screed, but really not that much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

OK So, seal under the engineered wood bit and ignore the tiled patch.

Ta.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb