new circuits for kitchen and outside

Does the below seem reasonable ?? I have CU with 3 sections, unprotected, 63A RCD, 80A RCD, supply 100A. One thing - all the below add up to more than 100A and when split between RCDs with the rest of the house, above the rating of the RCDs. Is diversity enough to take this into account ?

New circuits for kitchen and outside wiring that passes through kitchen =================================================== kitchen lights 6A radial 1.5mm TWE kitchen ring 32A ring 2.5mm TWE kitchen fixed appliances 32A radial 6mm TWE (unswitched sockets in cupboards) RCDoven/hob circuit 32A radial 6mm TWE (visible isolator near oven) fridge/freezer circuit 16A radial 2.5mm TSE (armoured or separate RCBO)

outside lights (on building) 6A radial 1.5mm TWE (separate RCBO) outside double socket (on building) 16A radial 2.5mm TWE (separate RCBO)

power to shed (will be a couple of sockets + FSU for lights + emergency rechargeable light)

32A radial 6mm TWE to outside wall (then armoured etc to be fitted later) (separate RCBO)

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

"Yes, diversity will take care or it" is the simple answer.

Page 96 of the OSG if you have a copy.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Until you get to workshops with heating appliances. 8-(

Even for woodworking, allowing a couple of simultaneous horsepower in machinery for each person working there means that diversity accounts for a huge potential overlaod without problems. Once you start allowing for CNC robots, ovens or kilns it all gets a lot more difficult, as they could very well be drawing power simultaneously.

Last estimate for a 3-phase supply was over =A320k!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You need one of Harry Bloomfields home built oil burners. A brilliant piece of work and used engine oil is cheaper than electricity.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D

I'd like to cut down on my circuit use by one circuit if possible. I'm wondering if a separate appliance circuit is worth it. At present appliances are only washing machine and garbage disposal under sink (cooker on separate circuit). But possible dryer and dishwasher in future.

Or combine outside lights and sockets in some way.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Then I would combine the kitchen lights and the freezer circuit. Put an unswitched spur on the 16A freezer RCBO circuit to feed the kitchen lights. If the RCBO trips you will soon notice and save defrosting the freezer.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

^^^^^^

Reply to
ARWadsworth

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D

Also, I could put the outside lights (security light + a few low power lamps) on a fused spur from the RCBO'd outside socket supply. It seems a bit excessive to have 2 circuits here, as its no real problem if you lose outside lights and socket. I'm not likely to be mowing at night !! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D

Or is putting the outside sockets on the shed supply another acceptable idea ? It would be nice to keep a outside lights circuit that could also be used for a porch light and maybe a side passage security light as well. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Anthing like that is fine. I always try not to mix up indoor and outdoor stuff on the same RCBO.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I would use 4mm^2 T&E there - wiring 6mm^2 to sockets is bastard of a job assuming you can even get 2 x 6mm^2 into the terminals.

Yup or possibly 4mm - depends on the "size" of the cooking appliances. (and note the 10A + 30% remainder diversity allowance)

or outside lights from FCU on the socket radial...

Yup gives plenty of scope for later expansion. Are you planning to export the house earth?

Reply to
John Rumm

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D

Yep (Supply is TN-S)

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Why have you got a 63A and a 80A RCD in the same CU?

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Seems a standard pre-populated 17th ed. offering ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Because I got an MK CU package from tlc-direct already set up as 3 section

17th edition CU. Thats what it came with. I guess they save a bit on costs. I though it a bit strange when it arrived (it was fitted a couple of years ago).

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Ah ! Ours posts crossed ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

to both you and Simon for that. I have not fitted a MK 17th edition CU. I usually fit Hager and Wylex.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

> Thanks to both you and Simon for that. I have not fitted a MK 17th

my usual choice as some wholesalers are selling them for £55 + VAT with

10 MCBs of your choice.
Reply to
ARWadsworth