New Cable Colours

Hi has anyone spoke yet on hear yet about the New Cable Colours. Which became law after 31 March

BigGuyUK

Sounds a good sensible decision replacing those bright colours with nice dark earthy colours, particularly the live one. makes life more interesting for a sparks in bad lighting conditions.

Who makes these decisions?

Reply to
EricP

I seem to remember reading a sign in a wholesaler about there being rather a long changeover period?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:42:33 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman strung together this:

Until April 2006, according to the NICEIC.

Reply to
Lurch

Also see

Richard Packer

The EU. They felt that too few people were being electrocuted in the UK and that the figures should be brought up to the French level in the interests of harmonisation and the improved quality of bribes.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Fascinating stuff. Would anyone know whether these new colours are similar to those in use in military establishments? I remember an explosion some 20 years ago when we borrowed a (large) 3-phase rotary convertor or similar from the forces, installed it, and put 415V where there should only have been 240V. This installation error was found to be due entirely to confusion about colour codes.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

A large percentage of the adult male population in the UK are red/green colour blind - in varying degrees. You couldn't really choose worse colours for the two most important wires safety wise if you tried.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

On Fri, 14 May 2004 23:26:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Plowman strung together this:

Luckily though, a large percentage of the adult male population in the UK aren't fully qualified electricians, who are the only people allowed to wire stuff up according to Part P. So that's all hunky dory then!

Reply to
Lurch

In article , Richard Packer writes

"The proposed colours for the conductors of three-phase circuits are brown, black and grey with a blue neutral conductor, in place of the traditional red, yellow and blue with a black neutral."

Utterly brilliant. Anyone want to take bets on how much stuff is going to get blown up?

That said, brown/black/grey for the phases is better than current Continental wiring practice, which is two browns and a black.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Although the guidance notes on the NICEIC site seem to suggest the registration requirements for the domestic self certification scheme (SCS) are a lot lower than some had been predicting. The costs though, seem similar to those for 'approved contractor' status. It is also good news to see that NICEIC won't be the only show in town, and that other organisations (such as CORGI) will be offering SCS for their own members.

[takes cover below parapet]
Reply to
Toby

Heh heh - unless you know different I'd say just the same percentage of sparks will be colour blind too. Perhaps it's something that should be tested?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Whereabouts is this info on the site? Am interested in finding more, but can't see it... Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

in a press release it seems the personal assessment procedure will be streamlined in comparison to the approved contractor rigmarole. Still need your C&G2381.

Prescott says applicants being considered to run SCS for part P are: BM TRADA Certification Ltd BRE Certification Ltd BSI Product Services CORGI Services Ltd FENSA Ltd NICEIC OFTEC Zurich Management Services Limited

Fensa! Jeesus.

Reply to
Toby

British Boxing Board of Control??

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Could never work that out, go to do anything like electrics in the Navy, for instance, and you get a colour blindness test. You don't get one to be a civiy electrician

Dave

Reply to
dave

In message , Toby writes

Its so good to see the IEE looking after the interests of its members (i.e. me). Not.

Humbug.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Worshipful Company of Wire Pullers.

DG

Reply to
derek

Worshipful Company of something pullers.........

With FENSA (who I can't see having any reason to be involved in electrical work), any idea of legitimate supervision goes out of the window.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They should at least make sure that it's double insulated!

Reply to
Set Square