New Bosch Wahing Machine - Help!

Hi

I have just bought - delivered Xmas eve, a BoschWFO2465 washing machine.

It is supposed to have a "very quiet noise level". However when spinning there is a fairly loud high pitch whine that increases with spin speed, this whine can also sometimes be faintly heard whilst the drum is turning during washing, are these noises normal?

The machine is a 1200RPM spin but the 10 year old Zanussi 1000 RPM spin it just replaced, whilst being generally noisier, seemed quieter on the spin cycle, at least it didn't whine at all.

Does anyone else have any experience with the current range of Bosch washing machines and their noise levels?

Thanks

Perhaps the brushes will bed in soon. I replaced the brushes on an old machine and it was noisy for a while. I expect new motors need 'running in'. If it is a fast spin then expect some high pitched noise.

Reply to
John

Yes, the brushes need to bed in.

Wash should be so quiet that you have to look to know it is running. Spin, (ours is 1400rpm bosch ) makes a little noise, but hey, its so little compared to anything else.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I've never heard anything so bloody daft as "the brushes need to bed in"!!! Oh Please!!

In fact, are there any brushes??!! Most new appliances use induction motors.

Even so, the bedding in of brushes in a fallacy.

It's probably a bearing and if anything like our NEW Hotpoint will need a replacement within weeks.

New brushes don't make noise - poor quality or badly lubricated bearings do! Manufacturers these days use the cheapest possible bearings and don't use much (if any) grease.

Brushes bedding in my arse!

Reply to
PJO

Well - my Indesit was noisy for a few cycles after having new brushes fitted - and why not????

Reply to
John

Well, my Bosch has brushes, that is the make of the OP machine. When I replaced one brush after seven years (why one wore first I don't know) there was a bit of a whine for the first few uses. An old indesit I had made a terrible whine when new brushes were fitted, a washing machine repair shop used a "comm" stick to polish up the commutator and the noise was much reduced.

So bedding in of brushes does happen. since the op machine is new he has little to worry about.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Having been a Bosch/Siemens fan for years I am afraid that when our 10 year old DW packed up I bought a Miele Base model for £350 delivered (Yes amazing considering they were £500 min 10 years ago) All i can observe is that I will never buy anything else again with out checking on the miele price. Three spray bars, really quiet, and

20 year design life. (condensing dryer a different story Bosch decent German non base model £350 Miele £650.

It came from a local little wholesale land lord special type of shop that is just full of machines, and I printed out the cheapest online prices and we did a deal of that price inc their delivery charge. Really cannot lose that way as i did not have to wait around all day for delivery (this man says i will come at six after work and he does.) HTH Phil

Reply to
Phil

And just what the f**k has this got to do with noisy brushes exactly?!

Reply to
PJO

When I replaced the brushed in my vacuume cleaner, it wined for a few uses!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

In article , PJO writes

When a 747 from Auckland lands in Sydney the whining noise continues after the engines have been turned off.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks for all the replies.

Interestingly I rang the Bosch service line today asking about the machines noise level. They said it should be pretty quiet most of the time (which it is) but will make a high pitch whine on the spin cycle. As this was stated by the Bosch person before I mentioned any whine I now feel some what reassured that this is the normal noise when on the spin cycle.

If not let's hope it will get sorted before the two year guarantee is up.

I would say that you have a problem. I recently got a new Bosch WFO285S, think thats the part no from memory, and its really really quite. In fact the hotpoint tumble dryer can be heard from the other end of the house, but unless you are in the kitchen, and close to the machine, its not even obvious the machine is on!

Reply to
Paul

Thanks for the info Paul.

Are you saying that yours is quiet during the spin cycle - normally the last

10 mins or so? You see mine is like yours, you have to be near it to hear it, except for the last 10 mins when it whines away and can easily be geard from the next room even with the TV on etc.

Strangely enough now that the machine has been used a few more times it is getting quieter as some of the replies suggested.

I also rang a couple of Bosch service agents who said it would quiten down after a few more cycles.

Apparently some are a little noisey to start with due to the brushes bedding in whilst others (of the same model) don't seem to suffer from this.

Thanks again for your replies.

In message , Andrew writes

That's just the stewardesses antipodean accent

Reply to
geoff

Seriously? Not all use induction, many still use carbon brushes, and a good mechanic will happily explain how carbon brushes take time to "bed" in. In fact so do most brass, nylon or compression type bearings. They also need to 'bed'. I guess you will expect everything to be "plug and play", the world is losing its ability to engineer.

Reply to
Mark

Mark, PJO last posted in 2004, I think your advice may be a little too late!

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Dec 2003 actually

"Mark" probebly thinks he is posting in Flashnewsgroups.com

Actually this is a good object-lesson for someone on another group, who wants to set up his own Usenet leeching web site and thinks it's a Good Idea (tm).

Reply to
Graham.

Either way, it sounded like it was a bit crappy. Yes brushes do bed in, and often the appliance smells a bit while this occurs. My Panasonic did, but where the brushed motor is is anyones guess. However its quieter now than when new, which is how things should be after some years if its made properly. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

You are a complete buffoon! Of course brushes need to bed in - it's like running a new chain and gears without any oil! The carbon heads are smooth and flat running against an indented surface which causes noise - once the heads have grooved to the rotating surface they will settle in and quieten down. Don't comment unless you know the facts!

Reply to
WMD Repair Man