New Boiler + Radiators

I was wondering if anyone can give me a ball-park price for replacing a floor mounted boiler with a wall mounted (conventional or combi, I don't mind) one.

The new one would be on the wall above the existing one, so minimal pipework required. The flue would of course need to be moved.

Along with that 7 radiators to be replaced.

If anyone can give a reasonable guess how much that would cost, would be most appreciated.

Ed.

Reply to
billshatner71

That may not follow. Combis often have higher gas flow requirements and the existing piping for an old conventional boiler might not be sufficient.

Reply to
Roland Butter

Also, if you replace a conventional boiler with a combi, you'll need a feed to the hot taps from the boiler position rather than from the hot cylinder - and you'll presumably want to have the cylinder and header tanks etc. - plus surplus pipework - removed.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Bearing in mind the scrap value of copper nowadays .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

ballpark 2 grand

about £700

do they really need replacing?

Reply to
John Stumbles

If you DIY - yes. But if you have to pay someone to do it, the labour cost will outweigh what you get for the scrap copper. I got just over £30 for my old cylinder[1] and a few bits of copper pipe and brass fittings. You can't buy much labour for that!

[1] I hasten to add that I replaced my cylinder with a new cylinder - *not* with a combi boiler!
Reply to
Roger Mills

I was thinking that - but if you use a condensing boiler having oversized radiators is an advantage. If they were fitted before cavity wall insulation or were oversized in the first place I would leave well alone. Or just replace the unsightly ones or ones in a cold room.

I'd also be tempted to hang onto the hot water cylinder if the rest of the hot water system is working OK. It's no different to some of the current heat store systems but with a remote tank!

Reply to
Fred

Not that much of an advantage that replacing sericeable ones would make economic or ecological sense, methinks.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'm just looking for the most economical way of doing this. I'm not fussed about having something with bells and whistles, as the house stays reasonably warm most of the year.

I only mentioned having the radiators replaced as the guy in B&Q, who was a ex-boiler fitter suggested changing the radiators as well. In fact he said if I didn't it'd be kind of cheapskate.

Reply to
billshatner71