New Boiler Installation and Local Council?

Just been reading this in another group. Quote "Change your boiler and fail to tell the local authority you get a fine. Something Prescott slipped through. Notified in the local authority propaganda magazine they post through every door once a month. If you get it done by a registered installer they send a certificate to the council and give you a copy. Do it yourself and you have to pay for an inspection. Fail to notify them and they can fine you if they find out. I think it was in the same package as the windows thing."

We are in the process of getting a new boiler and this has not been mentioned by the installer. He is OFTEC registered. We checked. Can anyone provide anymore information as we certainly don't want to end up with a fine. TIA Pepper

Reply to
Pepper

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:28:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Pepper" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The relevant regulations are

Don't bother reading through it all, the bit you're interested in is Schedule 2A about halfway through. If someone listed in the second column is doing the type of work in the first, then a Building Regulations application is not required (apart from the Institute of Plumbing one, because no-one took it up).

The chances of that are, IME, virtually zero. The worst that will happen is that when you come to sell your house, a diligent surveyor may pick up that the boiler was replaced after these regulations came into force and your purchaser's solicitor will ask you for the relevant paperwork.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Yes, new or replacement heting installations now come under the building regulations. OFTEC installers can self certify oil fired boiler installation. You should be given a certificate to show that the installation complies with the regs.

Reply to
John Armstrong

Thanks to Hugo and John. I shall make sure we get the relevant certificates. Pepper

Reply to
Pepper