New boiler advice

Hi all,

Have spent some time reading the archives of this group to try and get some idea about a new boiler but nothing really fits in with current situation which is this:

30yr-old Glow-worm boiler on last legs. Currently a pumped/gravity system and the boiler and cyclinder are in the airing cupboard in the spare room of a 1930's 3-bed semi; consequently there is no space in the airing cupboard. The atic has been converted but there are no radiators up there (brrrr) since the feeder tank is at floor level in the atic and probably can't easily be raised. Also, some dumb-ass plumber who fitted the bathroom (done a year or two before we moved in) has put in a power shower in the bathroom which is directly connected to the mains cold water rather than via a feeder tank in the loft (so something is going to have to be changed there!)

We'd like to keep the airing cupboard and have it useable so I guess I have the following options.

1) Put boiler downstairs and keep the hot-water cylinder in the airing-cupboard.

2) Get a normal combi and put it in the same place as the original boiler.

3) Get a storage combi and put it in the same place as the original boiler.

I know that options 2 and 3 will allow me to put radiators in the atic room easily enough but is it possible with option 1?

If there's any options I've missed (other than 2 combi's - I told you I'd read the archives ;) ) then I'd appreciate the advice and/or comments on the above proposals.

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

I assume it really is a power shower? (i.e. with internal pump and no heater). An electric shower should be connected to mains.

Yes. No problem at all. You'd want something called a "system boiler".

  1. Putting the boiler in the airing cupboard. Less space in there, more in the kitchen. May not be good for noise if bedrooms close. May be more expensive due to pipework changes and flueing/drainage arrangements.
  2. Put boiler in loft.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I take it you have read the sealed system FAQ. Especially the bit about

Can I convert my existing system to a sealed system? Yes, if the boiler manufacturer permits it. At the very least the boiler needs to have components that are all capable of withstanding 3 bar and at least one high temperature safety cut-out that requires manual resetting. Old radiators and their valves might start leaking but the benefits are worth it.

I suppose I should have made it more explicit...

Is it possible to have a conventional system with a sealed primary system? Yes, provided the boiler manufacturer permits installation of their boiler in this way - most do nowadays.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yup, it really *is* a power shower, a Wickes cheapy that sounds like a 747 is taking off in the bathroom. (Some people might use it when they're playing a flight simulator for that ultra-realistic effect!)

Ok, This is one of the ones where the pump is with the boiler? I'll read up on those.

If we do end up getting a combi then I'd leave it in the airing cupboard as the only means of getting some heat in there.

Probably not practical in this case. Loft is essentially a bedroom and the space that isn't occupied by bedroom is not high enough for any boiler I've seen.

Thanks for your comments.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

.... or alternatively I shouldn't been so hasty when I read the FAQ the first time. Thanks for the pointer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

The storage combi solves many problems and appears the ideal solution. Gives high flows, eliminates the jet engine sounding pump, puts rads upstairs, liberates a cupboard, existing boiler position or in the airing cupboard which still takes up far less space. You can put a small rad in the airing cupboard.

Why is a power shower pump on the mains? Is the flow-pressure that bad? If it is, it may be worth your while uprating the mains pipe and fitting a full-bore stop c*ck.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

thanks for other comments.

No, the mains flow is very high, not sure exactly what it is but it's very good indeed. (I have it restricted at the mo by turning the stop-c*ck down so the power-shower works better but it isn't ideal as all the cold taps in the house are running at this restricted rate... it will be done properly when the boiler gets sorted) . It's on the mains cos someone wanted the job done on the cheap I suspect....

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
Rob Summers

If your mains is like you say it is then it sounds as if this fool didn't know he was doing. It defies common sense.

It appears a stored water combi is the way for you then. I still would have full-bore stop c*ck, and also after the stop c*ck have a dedicated 22mm pipe to the combi. Tee off this at the stop c*ck and run a pipe just to the cold taps. Just before the combi tee off the combi cold feed and run this to the shower mixer to avoid fluctuations. Divide and rule.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Really? there are some pretty compact boilers around nowadays (though are condensing ones generally bigger?)

A couple of years ago my FIL had a new boiler in (1970's average sized 4 bed detached house with HW tank) the boiler is in the kitchen it's is very small - less than 2 foot square I imagine.

Reply to
chris French