new beeny series of help my house is falling down

What was that episode about tonight (28/7/11)?

Sewage oozing through the walls, fancy dimpled plastic tanking stuff kindly fitted free of charge, but no mention of sorting out the defective drains. Did I miss it? I was out of the room for a couple of minutes.

Reply to
Onetap

That programme just gets more and more stupid. How does the blockworkstop the place from falling down?

Reply to
harryagain

It was supporting the ground floor - apparently a supporting wall had been removed, so they put it back. They didn't say what they did about the outside walls, though.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

But they were exposing a big hole under the basement slab while they were talking about missing load-bearing walls - it made no sense.

Reply to
Reentrant

Maybe they didn't show the bit where they had the missing foundations underpinned and/or replaced? They clearly showed the party wall with no foundations at one point, where the basement floor had been dug out to below the level of the original foundations. There was much more to this one than they showed, I'd say. Leaving the party wall in the state they showed it would be in breach of any party wall agreement I've seen.

Reply to
John Williamson

I caught the last bit of some program on another channel with that bald bloke from the One Show where a chinese lady builder had built a loadbearing wall onto a rotten wooden floor.

He even got her to cry at the end... ;)

"I can't give them a refund, I've spend the money!"

JGH

Reply to
jgharston