New Beeny prog tonight ...

Don't forget that the new Sarah Beeny prog "Help ! My House is Falling Down" is starting tonight (Tues 10th) on Channel 4 at 8pm.

First featured property is not a million miles from me, so I'll be watching with interest - just in the building work, of course ... ! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

more clueless moaning fwits and the "permanently pregnant presenter" plus new!! "Horror!" sound FX and some twinkly music =super!

"proof that the natural water table of the stream underneath is filling it up" erm? Yes dear it's a well!! it wouldn't be there if it didn't fill with water!!

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Oh darn, I missed it ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No you haven't.

Just starting on 4+1

tim

Reply to
tim....

In message , tim.... writes

And he thought that he had escaped ...

Reply to
geoff

He will be safe if he checks the newsgroup after 10pm.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

FFS, has she never heard of saying 'no'? I'm sure she's on a mission to populate the planet.

I gave up on it after 20 minutes, couldn't stand it any more, especially as the content was being endlessly repeated to pander to the audience with goldfish brains.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Only four kids.

That bird in Edlington I was knobbing had six.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, OK, saw last 2/3rds of it. The well was an interesting problem. I would have tried some more drastic pipe clearing methods before abandoning that overflow pipe, such as some percussion on the end of some drain rods, and/or some brick acid.

I would have cleared some more airspace under the new floor too. I hope they put some sub-floor vents in - that wasn't mentioned.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

If she's that careless, she's probably got seven or eight now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Dave wibbled on Tuesday 10 August 2010 22:30

children.

It's amazing what a few cans of Tennents Super will do...

or rohypnol.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember fred saying something like:

There was something about her I rather liked, when she first appeared. Perhaps it was just she seemed to know what she was on about and wasn't an airhead, unlike the majority of property show presenters.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Have to say that she looked rough in this one, I thought. When she first bounced onto our screens - whatever it was - 10 years ago now, was it ? - she really floated my boat. I too liked the fact that she could talk electrics and plumbing and bricklaying with the best of 'em. According to an article I read about her, it was genuine, as well. Apparently, when she started out in the property refurbing business, she encountered so many cowboy tradesmen, that she resolved to learn and qualify in all the trades for herself. In one of her progs a couple of series back, she actually told the punter that owned the house that she was entirely capable of rewiring, replumbing and replastering a house on her own. Now that's a valuable missus ! Gotta say that I was still impressed with her lugging all that rotten wood about, and crawling round the floor in this one, even when heavily pregnant.

I actually saw her out on the street when she was working on tonight's prog, and she didn't look as rough as she did on the version that was screened. But wasn't it a poor programme ? One of the worst of hers that I think I've seen. And it took them a long time to make it as well. I would guess that she and the crew came back probably 8 or 9 times, and the crew on their own another twice. I know for a fact that there was a lot more that went on than was shown. I was actually quite bored with it by about half an hour in, and only kept on watching because of the local interest to me ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Admit it, it was the mother earth attraction, obviously fertile etc ;-)

I do remember what you mean about the early progs though, she was pointing out obvious mistakes to the deluded but it seems to have become a bit too smug for its own good. That said, tonight's prog with a pair that wouldn't even consider pointing a wall or insulating their own loft conversion deserved a good nose rubbing in poo.

Reply to
fred

the final eyebrow raising straw for me was the shiny-shoed stripy- suited RICS nob squatting in a cellar advocating the use of a gasp "drain snake"1 to tackle an already identified by him (via remote B&W TV at close range) mortar obstuction......priceless!

1 designed to clear blockages in waste pipes from bogs and sinks etc

think the unnamed neighbour who took pity on em increased the depth - judging by the few "flash frames" of how they finally did it . No sign of vents though I agree ooops!

Q I missed the start - how did they get a mortgage? IIRC he stuck tinted window film on vauxhalls and moaned a lot she did? where'd the cash come from?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I noticed they were using that tri-iso type foil insulation in the loft. Several building control areas will not accept it now. Unless they used it with some celotex/kingspan as well. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Yep, spotted that and smirked. They didn't show much of that part so maybe they were putting in some real insulation as well.

No matter how many times I see it in use I just can't see what people expect to get from a bit of silvered bubble wrap.

Reply to
fred

I wondered why they didn't put down a DPM, fill with concrete and lay an oak floor on top of that, rather than faff around with doubtfully ventilated joists. You couldn't call it a suspended floor because there wasn't room to suspend it in, as far as I could see.

I thought the programme a little lacking in technical detail. For example, I assumed it was lime mortar being used for the pointing, which would have been an interesting point to bring out.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

That wouldn't be hard.

I had thought all the "what we are going to show you after the break", and "recap what we showed you if you come in during the break", was because they were so cheapskate they only had enough footage for a decent 15 minute program, and needed to pad it out.

Yes. Very poor.

- The bad pointing was clearly cement mortar rather than lime. No mention of the difference.

- No mention of the need for listed building consent for the loft conversion.

- No mention that buying a listed building (or anything more than about 50 years old) without a full building survey is madness.

- I immediately thought "I'd have dug that out a foot" in the dining room, but the idea of a solid fill is a good one (could get loads of insulation down too).

The sump pump was a neat solution to the well though. Even if they do something more permanent later, it buys them time to save up.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

That's just teasing ;-) Any details?

Chris