New battery for Elu drill...or new drill?

I have an Elu (now DeWalt) 12v Combi cordless, about 12 years old. Anyways, both batteries are finally knackered.

Looking for replacement batteries, I see it's going to cost me at least =A360 for a couple of cheapos, whereas a visit to B&Q this morning showed me I could get a Makita 12v "marathon" cordless combi for =A383 (including 2 x 2.0Ah batteries), a Ryobi 18v (with 2 batts) for =A363 or a MacAllister 14.4v (2 batts) for =A360.

Given that I really only need my drill these days for the odd job (the extension is finished!), can anyone recommend the best course of action and - if it involves buying a new drill - point me to a good choice?

Reply to
keiron99

The other course is to open up the battery and replace the cells. CPC have

1600 mAh tagged sub-C cells for 1.50 each - so 15 quid a battery. However, Ni-Cads are getting harder to find.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would say it depends a bit on external factors... i.e. if you have other DeWalt rechargable kit then it makes sense to stick with the same brand and hence charger so you can share one between tools. If it is a "one off" then, do you like the tool? If so either have the old packs re-celled or fork out for a new set.

Reply to
John Rumm

Looking for replacement batteries, I see it's going to cost me at least £60 for a couple of cheapos, whereas a visit to B&Q this morning showed me I could get a Makita 12v "marathon" cordless combi for £83 (including 2 x 2.0Ah batteries), a Ryobi 18v (with 2 batts) for £63 or a MacAllister 14.4v (2 batts) for £60.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Same logic applies to any tool where you can buy further ones "body only", and what's more you don't have to get lumbered with a Ryobi into the bargain.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Andy Hall

Plank, you can get lumbered with another brand that charges more.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, it isn't.

It is? I thought it was getting further tools cheaper.

Matt, so I was right and it isn't bullshit then.

Matt, Which magazine rated them in test above Makita and all that.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Where can one get batteries rebuilt? Is there a link to such places somewhere?

I bought a MacAllister drill 18 v and excellent for the near ton I paid. I bought another the week after on a second hand stall in Hanley Market in Stoke and that was an earlier version. The batteries are not interchangeable.

A 14 old drill is likely to fail even though it is or was one of the best ever made so buying a new battery is a silly idea. Besides for occasional use you don't need and would be better off without a battery drill. A plug and play 240v with a safety trip socket would be beter suited to your needs and far cheaper.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

One such place, but their site seems to be down at the moment:

wayback archive has a copy though:

John Rumm

Where can one get batteries rebuilt? Is there a link to such places somewhere?

I bought a MacAllister drill 18 v and excellent for the near ton I paid. I bought another the week after on a second hand stall in Hanley Market in Stoke and that was an earlier version. The batteries are not interchangeable.

A 14 old drill is likely to fail even though it is or was one of the best ever made so buying a new battery is a silly idea. Besides for occasional use you don't need and would be better off without a battery drill. A plug and play 240v with a safety trip socket would be beter suited to your needs and far cheaper.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The cost of producing such a high output power supply would exceed that of a new battery or cheap mains drill. Have you any idea how much current a cordless drill can take?

Rather shows you know nothing of building sites - mains power is pretty well essential on all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Plese eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not going to be a realistic possibility at a saleable price....

If you want a hole, then a mains drill will do the job well enough. If you need a versatile screwdriver then a decent cordless wins hands down every time.

Reply to
John Rumm

Not directly connected, but perhaps relevant..

I pick up old 12v drills from the tip for a couple of quid, take the cells out of the battery and solder in a sturdy lead - to which I attach a couple of clips that fit a 12V external battery. For a large project I use an old car battery - for a smaller project, or where I need to be maneuverable, I use a burglar alarm battery. You can sometimes find waist pouches for these smaller 12v batteries. Of course, you lose something with regard to convenience - but you get a lot more oomph and time out of these external cells.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Not trying to decry your inventiveness, but like for like Ni-Cads can produce more current than a SLA - especially one designed for low current use like an alarm. And are more tolerant of deep discharge. So the performance of the drill will be reduced - although this may not matter for a few holes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True. Of course dribble has no even basic knowledge of electricity so it wouldn't occur to him what a stupid question it was.

I'm not so sure about that. The only thing a cordless scores on is that it's cordless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please eff off as you are a clear plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Drink the KoolAid.

Cheaper than what