New 13A plug

I used to use old volume control spindles cut to length - just the right diameter and solid copper. You had none of these silly fuse failures you see these days.

Reply to
Peter Parry

A thin filament of wire between dead fuse & holder works, but the ampacity is inadequate for safe fusing. Similarly bare wires under all metal plug pi ns works, but safe it's not. I remember eating in a place where all the plu g tops were taped on, and some didn't fit. Sockets that needed a kick to wo rk weren't unusual once. And bare wires going into pendant lampholders. Tim es have moved on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The ones where it emerges at the earth pin end are a pain on some double banked socket strips, as they collide with the plug opposite.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Neither the foldingplug or the thinplug seem designed for screw terminals, so you'd be looking at buying moulded replacement leads for kit with C6/C8/C14 inlets.

I had one, it went rather brittle.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Great for a Hi-Fi etc where things still have captive leads. No wonder it didn't make it.

Yes - the fixing screw boss for the plug cover? But a bit of superglue sorts it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've always found it useful to cut them up into differnt lenghts.

20mm being common herem and 1 1/4 inches, even 5/8th inch. :-)
Reply to
whisky-dave

I may have mentioned before that my late father was a radar fitter during his National Service. He claimed that if a fuse blew, they'd replace it with a cut-down nail then replace the part which subsequently burnt out...

Reply to
mark.bluemel

But the mess behind TVs, HiFis and computers and semi-permanent wiring, the whole point is once you've plugged everything up you aren't going to be messing about with it.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

They do that with the mains around here, underground fault kept tripping the supply so they fitted an auto re-connector in the substation and the cable blew up a few hours later. Then they fixed it.

Reply to
dennis

Company I first worked for assembled circuit boards (loads of DIL CMOS chip s) for various customers. If the automated tester threw up a short on the p ower lines the quickest solution was to get a big f*ck-off PSU and apply po wer to the board. The short quickly vanished (usually!) and another run thr ough the ATE identified the failed component if the Mark 1 eyeball couldn't spot it.

Reply to
Halmyre

That's just for drills:-)

ARW

It wouldn't be a bad plan to rerun some of those 70s info films today. We'd have less kids doing such stupid things. Not sure how applicable the drill one is now though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , ARW writes

I recognise him! He was in The Sweeney, I think.

Reply to
News

En el artículo , Peter Parry escribió:

Or keys.