Neutral Cure Silicone - Gone Off?

Quite a while ago I bought some neutral cure silicone sealant (probably several years, IIRC from Screwfix - but not sure). The original reason for buying it disappeared (change of mind), but, needing some sealant yesterday, I opened it. No surprise - a small plug of set sealant came out - but the rest seemed OK. (Never having used NC before, I couldn't be sure.)

I used it on the WC connector (which I had dismantled to fit new floor covering) - and yet a full day later it has pretty much the same consistency as when I applied it.

o Has the sealant 'gone off' in the cartridge? o Is NC silicone very similar to ordinary acetic forms? o Anything I can do to force it to cure into a solid?

Reply to
Rod

I think it's gone off. I had this happen to me, and the sealant cured eventually

-- it took at least a year, though. The chemist I asked said that the catalysts in the non-silicone do go off...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thanks. I feared as much.

Reply to
Rod

In the days of 'RTV' used in military and aerospace apps., before becoming available generally (cost a bomb), we used to keep it in a fridge; I still do, as my usage is intermittent, and it seems to last for 3 - 4 years.

Reply to
PeterC