networking cable: Cat 5e vs Cat 6

I use 5GHz. It did have trouble getting through four brick/block walls so I put a second access point in the garden to cover that and the conservatory. Some builders use(d) foil backed plasterboard on internal walls and that kills wifi in the next room.

Reply to
dennis

Yep thats 5.8 Ghz. Ofcom did some research it's on their Webshite somewhere but thats one thing that frequency range isn't too good at. Its fine for such as long distance outdoor links but 2.4 G unless its heavily congested is better for indoor use...

Just a pity there wasn't a bit more spectrum allocated to it but IIRC they were constrained by what was above and below, but back in the days when the so called "ISM" band was set up no one could have foresaw the explosion in the Internet of things;)..

  • (ISM) Industrial Scientific Medical, to save you looking it up....
Reply to
tony sayer

Sure does Den, that and mobile phones. I have a foil backed plasterboard office and mobiles are almost unusable in there 'cos of that...

Reply to
tony sayer

You're not out in the sticks if a neighbours WiFi is visible let alone causing your WiFi problems. B-)

A single 12 to 18" rubble stone wall does for 2.4 GHz. Walls are a problmem this is why I tend locate AP's or DECT base stations in the loft. Timber based floors and ceilings are a little more RF transparent (foil backed PB excepted!).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

4.17/0.37 Mbps 28 ms ping
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The backhaul for the (ex)community broadband was on two hops of microwave link for a few years. IIRC it was some where between 50 and

100 Mbps, not short hops either first one 25 miles, second 8. Not cheap kit though, of the order of £2k each end...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You should come down off that mountain Dave;)./.

tony sayer

Yes the expensive stuff is still out there but its dropped down in recent years and its now quite affordable to implement such nets....

Reply to
tony sayer

Don't do too many tests, virgin will traffic shape you if they think you are using too much of their net.

Reply to
dennis

FTTC came to our street this week too, my results are within a gnat's of yours, except my ping is 17-20ms (not interleaving, but my cab does had g.inp enabled which I gather works similarly).

Actual line rate is pinned at 79.98/19.99 Mbps, the Billion 8800NL modem claims it could achieve 120/39 Mbps given the chance. Such a joy to have a decent chunk of bandwidth available at home, but more of a joy to have a connection that doesn't drop and re-sync several times a day ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I can see 18-20 2.4GHz SSIDs here, but only my own 5GHz, not sure if that's because nobody else is using it, or because it doesn't escape their houses ... all in all I think it's better, even if maybe you need a couple of APs to cover a house instead of one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd asked someone to patch an unusual device that connects to ethernet via a non-standard IDC connector - but he took a shortcut by chopping a stranded patch lead in half and using that, late in the day it became obvious this was spectacularly unreliable, but the brand new fire station was due to open at 7pm so I ripped it out, took the solid cable from the back of the 'RJ45' socket and used a sacrificial Tesco clubcard to re-make the IDC connections ... works perfectly!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't think they bother anymore on the faster speeds these days...

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm not so sure. I'm with Virgin on up to 50Mbps and my monthly bill went up from £25.65 to £28.50 in February, so I rang them and complained and asked them why my bill was so high when new customers after their initial discount period were only being charged £17.50 for the same service and pointed out that BT has just installed FTTC in my road and I was thinking of leaving. They put me on to the retentions manager who said ok you can have an £8 loyalty discount for 18 months taking me down to £20.50, so I agreed. Strangely my download speed which had been a constant 55Mbps suddenly went down to 44Mbps and has stayed there, coincidence?

Reply to
The Other John

I'm hearing lots of reasons not to have Virgin :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Dunno, ask them and complain. I don't think there're as bothered as they once were about downloads since high speed VDSL has come into being for a lot or of the population.

Course playing the retention's dept line can result in some better "deals", if you have been with them for quite sometime;

Reply to
tony sayer

Well apart from the somewhat slower upstream speed they still beat infinity around this way thanks:)

In fact there're about the only true competition that BT have in some areas of course..

Reply to
tony sayer

It would be nice to have the choice.

Quite, wonder what "% of the population" have access to Virgin? That is Virgin cable/fibre to the premises not Virgin over BT maintained local ends (though haven't Virgin just disposed of all their ADSL/VDSL/LLU customers?)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dunno of the top of my head, but I think in terms of numbers it will be quite high they did most every major city and urban conurbation...

Reply to
tony sayer

There isn't a branch near me. I got it on Saturday & used it to make

4 connections (or 32, depending on how you count them) & it seemed good.
Reply to
Adam Funk