networking cable: Cat 5e vs Cat 6

FWIW we have a VM 100 meg service and it reports that speed of the VM modem, however after the router, a decent draytek unit and a bit of LAN CAT 5 cable, decent stuff mind, its already sagging down to 80 meg or so..

In fact we didn't really notice that much difference between the 30 meg and the 100 overall. It is better if you have a house full of users tho...

Reply to
tony sayer

And we're looking at a two hop microwave link to get hopefully 2 or 3 meg out to someone who isn't that far away from known civilisation in Cambridgeshire, who is almost wetting themselves at the prospect of some broadband;)!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I was really thinking of around the home rather between towns/cities.

Don't know a great deal about fibre but can see why multi-mode doesn't get very far at decent speeds.

I hope to catch the engineers as they blow the stuff in and maybe find out if that 40 km run from each cabinet is straight back to Hexham or if there are some repeators somewhere. The current fibre connections carrying ADSL POTS traffic I think is straight back as we have had issues on ADSL with border line light levels causing packet loss and the engineer went straight to Hexham to check levels there, not some intermediate point.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's OK - I hate me too :-|

Reply to
Tim Watts

More or less - but it's best to use a decent version for RJ54 where it matters and not some bit of plastic crap (though I have used a crappy plastic tool and got away with it).

Nice tools have a tiny set of scissor blades on the end, offset, and trim the wire off after punching it down.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't think many home users are doing that on a regular enough basis to justify anything above gigabit, which is not that much more expensive than 100 Mbps.

For shifting gert lumps of data maybe but not for streaming even multiple 4k streams at a mere 30 Mbps each.

And they might be odd locations depending on where the fibre spines run. We are well out of range for VDSL and remote and high on the North Pennies, it's not called "Englands Last Wilderness" for nothing.

But the fibre spine feeding the FTTC in the village runs under our forcourt, 10' from the front door and there is a chamber with it in

20 yds up the road. Of course there will be no slack in the fibre in that chamber to break out a couple of fibres for us. But there might be a fibre node/aggregation point in a hole 200 m further up and they could put a FTTrN in that hole.

Possibly fine for us and farms not to far from the road but those the otherside of valley won't be getting anything more than the current ADSL2 (note 2 not 2+) and that struggles to deliver the 2 Mbps "universal service" requirement.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've just gone from b to n with a TP-Link WRN841N at £20 from Tesco just used as an AP. The b would be under 1 M Bytes/sec to the phone and be unstable (kept connecting/reconnecting, even when in the same room). n to the same phone was up at nearly 4 M Bytes/sec both actual throughput. Phone is a few years old and was connected at 54 Mbps so it might not support the channel bonding required for the higher speeds.

Well pleased for £20 though. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Right: multimode then. Which makes the interface cards a lot cheaper (LED instead of laser) and you can shine a torch down one and see the light at the other end. Handy for when you've installed 10-pair between rooms and forgot to label them first hem hem.

40km should be easily doable with single-mode.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Like this?

Adam Funk

Sometimes but not always.

UK and European data, and BT phone sockets, use a 'Krone' tool.

Americans use '110' tool.

Some punchdown blocks can work with either. Some tools come with both blades.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I always don't think they're so nice after I forget to reverse the tool to do the lower bank after doing the upper bank, and trim off the connection I want to keep.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've found the LAPAC1750 very good - I can get over 75Mbit/sec out of that on either 2.4 or 5GHz. In fact I've ordered a 2nd to get proper coverage and will replace my TPLink WA901N that seems to crap out at 40 odd.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - those...

Actually the price is so reasonable it's a bargain - providing it's not crap. I'd take a socket and cable into the branch and ask to try it.

Reply to
Tim Watts

110 has been used here too - but it's admittedly a little less common.
Reply to
Tim Watts

I should hope so at 5+ times more than the Tesco TP_link. B-)

I don't need to worry about a crowded 2.4 GHz band, nearest neighbours are 1/2 a mile away and behind a hill. So 5 Ghz isn't a requirement to get a bit of airtime.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

More than ten times what I have, I'd use the same site but it wants javascript AND Flash... Maybe when I boot the window box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It has very good range too :) I live by Wifi (IPCams, moderate number of pads and phones, Roku/Chromecast devices - I happy to pay double (I'd normally pay £50-70 for a reasonable unit) for the solidness of this one.

But I might be selling my TP link in a couple of weeks, which is a decent enough unit with some quite advanced features (multiple VLANS/ESSIDS for one, local DHCP server) - it just can't haul above about about 40Mbit/s.

It'll be going for practically nothing plus a bit of postage if anyone's interested - let me know...

It's funny - one spot near here has a load of ESSIDS from different people and half of them are on top of each other channel wise. Leaving a nice clean gap just for me :)

I also notice people can't be arsed, or don't realise you can change the ESSID to something fun. They're all SOMETHING-17827838 kind of names.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't you live out in the sticks somewhere Tim?

The biggest problem with 2.4 Ghz wi-fi is now channel congestion which of course affects speed!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I've already ordered it & will report back later.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Even in the sticks most folk have some internet offering that comes with a wifi router by default. That's why I've been playing with 5GHz a bit. Very very poor penetration, 2-3 stud walls and it's gone, but almost noone else is using the spectrum, so where you can get it through the open it has an advantage.

Reply to
Tim Watts