Network Sockets

I want to stick a socket on a wall for my network - it's going to be behind a piece of furniture so I'm not too bothered about flush-mounting it. Anyway I was gonna pick one of these up from ScrewFix:

already have a crimping tool to make up network cables but do these sockets generally need any sort of tool to fit the network cable? Or does it vary from socket to socket?

TIA

Reply to
elziko

elziko ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You'll need a punchdown.

Adrian

plastic jobby:

Rob Hamadi

--

for one off jobs i've gotten away with a Stanley knife ;-)

Or you can file a notch in the end of a screwdriver.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And you'll get unreliable crap connections, especially if you use a screwdriver and you strain the IDC prongs. Buy the right damned tool!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Rob Hamadi ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But still less than a tenner.

As have I. Literally, one-off though.

By the time the first couple of connections are done, the plastic end is knackered. If you need to redo any after testing, you'll be lucky.

Reply to
Adrian

They're not noted for robustness, it's true. Though istr having a black plastic one knocking about somewhere that seems to have lasted longer than anticipated.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

I've used the 99p special for years and never had any netw0r& problems whats#ever...

Mathew ;-)

Reply to
Mathew Newton

That re~inds me of c~nne~ting to C~X at 2400 in the earl~ 1~~#s.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's why a knife is far better, or filing the notch.

Either press down either side of the IDC, or with a tool whose width is less than that of the copper wire core.

I guess you never really thought it through though did you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One thing that varies is the colour code - A or B spec ... hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

Not if you use the same at both ends :-) I would endorse investing th the correct tool. I have made a large number of connections with the odd error. Without a tester it is sometimes difficult to spot a bad connection, all you know is that the whole socket doesn't work.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I was posh, had MNP error correction on my 2400bps modem ;-) (could not afford CIX mind you after forking out the £250 for the modem!)

Reply to
John Rumm