Network Box for monitoring electical circuits

Is there a little box that I could buy which would have an Ethernet port (and IP) that I could attach to my home network and would allow me to use my computer to monitor the status of the mains voltages circuits (of my central heating system)?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Most of the "smart" UPSes can monitor mains voltage, and have the added benefit of keeping your PC going even when it reaches zero volts :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

One of the better APC SmartUPS boxes will do what you want. The cheaper ones have USB rather than Ethernet (although many come with software to allow the control and status information to be passed over a LAN as well).

Reply to
John Rumm

I think that the original poster wanted something that would monitor voltages in his heating system which a simple UPS won't do all that well..

Have a look at

they do devices similar like COM port to IP converters could have sworn that I saw something like this around a while ago also look at

they do some sort of remote data stuff....and

certain one of those has what you want but don't expect it to be cheap tho!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Depends how far you want to go, but you could try these guys:-

! Another weekend b*ggered.

-----------

Reply to
Zoinks

If voltage is what he is interested in, then they actually keep detailed logs... he may also find it cheaper than dedicated lan aware A to D kit.

At that sort of level you could even go as far as embedded PC solutions with a PCI A to D card...!

As you say, it depends on how much you want to pay.

Reply to
John Rumm

You are sticking your toe into very deep water ... Google for "home automation" and you'll find more "little boxes" than you could probably ever wish for.

X10 is another relevant search term.

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

I thought X10 did controlling rather than monitoring?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It does. This is just an easy way to locate home automation references.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well he did say voltages within his heating system, so that implies more than one voltage and not necessarily just the supply voltage

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes those are the sort of thing that I am looking for :-)

I am planing to provide a zone valve control box for my replacement C/H boiler. Looks like it will be worth extending my home cat 5e cabling as part of the job.

:-( I bought a Linksys 'slug' for my Topfield PVR for £57. Amazing what you can get for your money nowadays - Even from Cisco who have a car park full of Porches.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Not so much any more, they don't ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Their Tasman Drive office car park (San Jose) went very distinctly empty after the dot com bust, and I've not noticed it full ever since, although it's probably just over a year since I last went past.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Most people who had stock options in 7 and 8 figures left and/or cashed in their chips long before the dotcom bust. Those who joined near or at the peak have options that are underwater (i.e. option price > market trading price so no point in exercising). A few unfortunates exercised at the peak, didn't make provision for CGT and were unable to pay the tax when the stock fell.

You might have heard the expressions B2B (business to business) and B2C (business to consumer). This was B2R. (back to reality).

Reply to
Andy Hall

Its much easier to just use some timer/thermostat units in the places you want to control, end switches on the zone valves and wire OR them to boiler on. Use a 12v relay for boiler on if it needs mains and you can wire it all the rest yourself, legally.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, but not half as interesting.

You can wire it all legally anyway, mains or no mains.

Reply to
Andy Hall

From

Order Code price (ex. VAT) each NETIOM Card CS11740 £60.54 LED Module CS07632 £9.67 Relay Module CS07633 £17.81 Null Modem Cable CS00179 £1.71

NETIOM Input/Output Module NETIOM is a stand-alone, network aware input/output card which can be controlled over most networks including an 'always on' Internet connection. It can act as an HTTP server with up to 32K of webspace, generate e-mails in resonse to specific events and act as a client to a remote server. An ideal product to integrate into home automation, local/remote process control, environmental control, security monitoring and machine monitoring and control.

16 Digital (TTL/CMOS/Dry contacts) and 4 analogue (10bit resolution, max. 5 volts) inputs 16 Digital outputs (open collector 50V dc The outputs can be connected via headers to either the LED module (provides indication of outout on 8 LEDs) or the Relay module (provides 8x SPCO relays)

RJ45 connection to network (10MIPS)

9 Way male D Serial port (2400 to 38400 baud - handshaking not supported) (Null modem cable required for programming)

Watchdog mode allows NETIOM to monitor network connections and operate outputs when failure is detected

Automatic detection of IP address (DHCP)

Web space can be password protected

All inputs/outputs via screw connectors Contents: Card, driver and user guide software

HTH!

Reply to
Adrian C

That looks like a very useful piece of kit. Anyone ever used one and can tell us how they got on with it before I order one;-)

Reply to
tony sayer