Netgear Printserver - manual setup?

A long shot I know....

I have a USB Samsung colour laser connected directly by USB and working with my PC. I want to turn it into a network printer and have a Netgear WGPS606 wireless printserver, which I have used before with a printer - so all set up and ready to go on my network.

I don't want to use the printservers auto setup up system, so how would I set this up manually?

As said, I have done it before and I know it can be done - I have just forgotten how.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You need to know the ip address of your printserver and then you need to install an instance of the printer driver on the pc with a local port that's an ip address.

In XP this would be: Control panel | add new printer Local printer attached to this computer Uncheck detect plug and play Next Create a new type of port Standard TCP/IP port Next Next IP address [connect printer to wireless server and switch on - XP's gonna look for it now] Next etc...

Simples.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Which is as far as I can get...

If I type in the IP of the printserver, it complains that a port with that name is already in use. It has two USB ports for printers and I think I need to tell it somewhere in the IP entry to use L1.

Thanks for the help so far.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield submitted this idea :

I have now got beyond that, but no test page printing....

The problem was that I still had a printer set up at that IP address, once its IP was deleted, I could complete the set up - but as said still no test page printed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Got it....

It needed a P1 at the end for USB Port1 as in

IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxP1

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Glad you got there in the end :-)