Net curtains and uPVC windows

We're having our wooden bay windows replaced today with uPVC ones and we can forsee a problem with our net curtains. With standard windows, the net curtain wire can be screwed into the masonry next to the window and hung across. However, with bays you also need to put hooks into the corners of the bay to keep the net curtains near the window. We'd ideally like to avoid any method of attaching hooks etc which would damage the frames. Sticky hooks are unlikely to stay in place as the wire is under some tension to stop it from drooping. The only real alternative I can think of is screwing the hooks into the frame - however this will put a hole in the frame and I'm not completely sure how strong that would be - and ideally I'd like to avoid holes in new frames!

So - any suggestions as to how I can get around this?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

In message , David Hearn writes

I've drilled small holes 1-2 mm into the plastic frames as pilot holes and then screwed in the normal fixing hooks. This has proved more than strong enough for net curtains and only leaves a small mark if they are removed latter.

Reply to
Bill

We have roller blinds fixed in a similar manner.

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

We've got the same, but we've found this rigid pole, which has hinges at each angle. You thread this through the net curtain, and then there are sticky-pad brackets which stick to the uPVC frame, and the pole clips into the brackets. Very effective - never fallen off yet.

No idea where they came from, though. Maybe a browse around a 'proper' curtain shop would help (as opposed to yer B&Q type place).

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul Boakes

I did this recently for my Sisters 'in laws'.

Not sure if it's the same design of bay as yours (this one was 5 sections) but the 'nests' that provide the angles in the corrners were recessed slightly, so although you could screw in a hook, it wouldn't be level (flush) with the one on the outer face of the frame (ie at the ends and in the middle of the long run).

I just some small lengths of 60 x 8mm plastic trim / skirting (like the double glazing boys use over everything) and cut it into short lengths to fit into the spaces between the sides of the frames and on top of the round nest pole. I then screwed this, through the plastic into the metal pole behind (20mm No6). I then covered the screw over with a bit of white tape and screwed the hook in towards the top of the plastic 'fillet' (above the central screw) so the net pretty well covered it up anyway?

Did the job, cost little and just took a bit of time getting all the angles on each end right so it sat neatly.

As a simpler alternative I have seen each angle treated seperatly with either spring or rigid plastic versions.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

This sounds like the thing that we use, can't remember if it came form Homebase or Harveys, but make sure the frame is clean and degreased before you the stick the brackets on, or the pads don't stay up very long... :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

"David Hearn"

Many window companies will tell you that their warranty will be breached if you drill holes in their windows. Before you drill ask them. You may find that they will do it for free if you ask. Or, have a word with the fitters.

If you do drill put a small hole, 2mm, in the weld. There is considerably more material here to get a fixing and it is less likely to pull out. But do think about the warranty. I have known "respectable" window companies wanting to cancel the warranty because of this. You may be able to fight a decision against you in a court of law but who the heck wants that aggro.

Richard

Reply to
Rick

I tried cheap self adhesive hooks on the PVC + screwed in eye hooks at the far ends, needless to say the hooks quickly fell off.

I then saw some 3M/scotch (i think) branded hooks designed to be very adhesive which are available from all the major DIY stores, 2 years later they are still stuck fast!

The hooks themselves are clear plastic & also are designed to be removable at a later date by pulling a small tag on the adhesive pad which sort of stretches the adhesive out, although unless you put them on particularly skew you shouldn't need to do this! With a few small nicks in the net curtain the wire sits neatly on the hooks as they would on traditional srewed in hooks & no damage to the PVC frames.

Reply to
Jed Spud

When you all say "nets" you do,of course,mean Voiles,don't you . ? ( sniff!! ) :-) Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Oh dear, I can forsee lots of problems....

Oh, with net curtains! Well, you can get (fairly) rigid expanding rails which go over _| shaped hooks glued to the PVC, which do the job... you could use oval spring-loaded rods... if you screw in hooks and use stretch hangers, I guess it's possible that the PVC will distort in a pimple shape. I should ask the suppliers (and watch them like a hawk in case the timber windows they're removing have any structural component (likely) and that what they replace has the equivalent (unlikely).

Good Luck.

J.B.

Reply to
jerrybuilt

The structural element of the bay has already been discussed and should be fine. Currently the wooden bays are rotten and dropping because of this, hence their replacement.

The plan is to insert bay poles supporting the spandrel above and placing the weight onto the wall below. No weight will be born by the uPVC parts. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on them though to make sure nothing gets skipped!

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Make sure you do!

I was asked to 'sort out' the damage / poor workmansip left by a DG firm after they had installed two bays.

When the new inner sill fell of I could see the metal bay poles were supposed to be sitting on some steel plates to provide a nice 'foot' onto the lower brickwork.

Other than the plate was over a frog on a brick and had canted up 30 degrees?

That and the gap around the nests that you could push a 2mm spacer through, the gaps between the inner sill angles, the plastic 'trim' everywhere to hide the poor fit, the silicone over everything, the ends of the beading that looked like it had been cut off by letting a dog chew through it .. etc etc ..

Not bad, 5k for two bays and a small bedroom window?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ours is £2.8k for 2 bays and a small bathroom window. :)

David Hearn

Well indeed .. I was being sarcastic .. well I suppose they weren't 'cheap' units (stained glass etc) but cosidering the mess they made putting them in it was a ripoff?

I helped my mate fit 8 windows (including a bay) and I think they cost him 2.5k (and lots of tea and toast for me!)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m