Neighbours' water on my roof.

Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Anyway of fixing it on your garage so that the water runs off onto his property?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I could fix some guttering myself or offer to fix the ballcock for him, but it is his problem, but causing me a problem. Baz

Reply to
Baz

To be honest if you are capable of doing the job for him(him paying for materials), it would solve your problem and keep the peace between neihbours. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

| To be honest if you are capable of doing the job for him(him paying for | materials), it would solve your problem and keep the peace between | neihbours. :-)

I cut down a 2 story high tree, bit by bit, just on my neighbours land, at my own expense, and labour. Peace is worth it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Sneak over to his place when he's not looking and block the overflow - preferably with something on a bit of string so you can pull it back and dispose of the evidence before he gets home. ;^>

Reply to
Rob Morley

So if I understand you right, his leak drips on to his garage roof, then on to you garage roof, then into your gutter and down your drain?

If so, it doesn't really sound like an earth-shattering problem over which it's worth damaging relations with your neighbour?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I like that idea, though why not push some moss up inside so it can't be seen. It would seem pretty legit that the pipe could be blocked by moss even if not really possible.

Reply to
PeTe33

He's talked to the neighbour, unfortunately. I was going to suggest measuring the pipe, then making a cylinder of ice in a similar pipe, and bunging it up during a cold snap....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Devious :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Rob Morley writes

Criminal :-/

Reply to
fred

Criminally devious, but a damn clever idea.

Wish I'd thought of it

Mike

Reply to
mike

Overflows are normally placed where they cause as much nuisance as possible, precisely to make lazy gits like your neighbour get off their backsides. We need to think up a simple way of putting the nuisance back on his side of the fence, where it should be. You're entitled to do whatever you like on your own roof - how about a temporary piece of gutter or corrugated roof sheet that catches the water and drains it back onto his side? Or could you dam up the water flowing off his roof somehow to make it flood on his side?

Reply to
Peter Taylor

If you can easily access it, connect a hose to it and backfeed into his cistern. Water on the inside of his property will spring him to life. Just remove the hose after a short period and any overfill will drain back out.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rob Morley saying something like:

Nah; what you need is one of these...

listen for the screams.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Check the deeds for drainage rights. These usually cover downpipe from guttering draining onto your land but the same applies to an drainage or spill of water onto your property. I had a similar proble with the business next door with over a 100 feet of gutterin overflowing onto my building and into the garden. Once I had politel offered to meet some of the costs (which is not necessary bu neighbourly) they had workman round post haste- they even unblocked tw of my drains!

Good luck

-- Windy Miller

Reply to
Windy Miller

In article , mike writes

Actually criminally damageous, do not pass go, do not collect 200pounds.

Not recommended.

Reply to
fred

If you have water meters remind him that water he is wasting is costing about 2 UKP per 1000L.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Arrange a bit of guttering so the water lands in his garden. He'll fix it soon enough.

Reply to
Huge

I'm amazed at the number of replies suggesting different solutions to this monumental crisis - but nobody, including the OP, has commented on my post above.

If my understanding of the issue is correct, WTF does it matter to the OP if this pipe is dripping? Is it going to wear out the OP's roof or gutter prematurely or something? Aren't there more important things in life to worry about?

David

Reply to
Lobster