Neighbours noisy toilet cistern

Hi, I live in a mid terrace, and my toilet backs on to my neighbours, when mt neighbour flushes their toilet the cistern takes over 2 1/2 minutes to r efill and the noise from the water filling is very loud and echos through m y house. I would be willing to buy a new cistern for them, but not sure how to approach the situation. I politely asked them once if it was faulty, bu t was told there was nothing wrong with it. Any ideas please.

Thanks

Reply to
alec green

Doesn't need a new cistern just a new valve or the existing one having a bit of TLC. What sort of noise is it? Squealling/hissing or hammering?

Is there a lady of the house? Maybe informing her that your terribly sorry but every time she uses the loo you know because of the noise from the cistern. It might get something done.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks

-------------

Depending on the type of noise you could ask if the ballcock has a filler pipe which reaches the bottom of the cistern, maybe it dropped off? If it's just a "water running through pipes" noise, I dunno. Yes I do, go detached? ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

neighbour flushes their toilet the cistern takes over 2 1/2 minutes to refill and the noise from the water filling is very loud and echos through my house. I would be willing to buy a new cistern for them, but not sure how to approach the situation. I politely asked them once if it was faulty, but was told there was nothing wrong with it. Any ideas please.

Make up some excuse for using their toilet. And, while in there, do whatever you need - break it, mend it, pour acid into the cistern,...

Reply to
polygonum

neighbour flushes their toilet the cistern takes over 2 1/2 minutes to refill and the noise from the water filling is very loud and echos through my house. I would be willing to buy a new cistern for them, but not sure how to approach the situation. I politely asked them once if it was faulty, but was told there was nothing wrong with it. Any ideas please.

My plumber fitted a silent flush into my cistern. Although not silent, it does make a considerable difference to the noise.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Sounds like it needs one of them tube thingies that extend the pipfilling it so it gets submerged quickly!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, its the filling not the flush. One assumes its a mains water filling system. Is there a stopcock on that feed, if so changing its setting can make things better. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sounds like it needs more than that if it is taking more than two and a half minutes to re-fill.

Seem to remember that public/shared WCs are supposed to refill within 30 seconds. Our downstairs one does, upstairs a but longer. But before replacing it all, it took up to about five minutes.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks

------------

Maybe ask them if they can hear yours, too? You never know - yours may sound just as loud to them, but if not, it would at least give you an opportunity to talk about it.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

I replaced the fittings in ours at work a few years ago because we were getting deposits left in the pans, people complained that when they were busy the cisterns had not refilled in time for the next user. Who ever had fitted the original ball valves had used high pressure nozzles instead of low pressure and they were all gravity fed from a tank in the attic. Made a big difference.

Reply to
Bill

That was one half of the problem with ours. The other half was the tiny diameter of everything not filled with scale.

The new one is mains-fed, and a torbeck or something (came with cistern, etc.) Would fill in about 20 seconds to begin with but for some reason (spray?) I wound the service valve back a touch but it was still under

30 seconds.

But even gravity feed upstairs is under a minute.

Reply to
polygonum

If the water supply is mains then such a dip tube has to be collapsable to prevent back syphonage. I don't think I've seen a traditional ball valve with a dip collapsable or otherwise.

The silent fill equilibrium (torbeck) ones have a dip tube that is collapsable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I fitted a brand new suposedly silent flush and it is the noisiest one I have heard in 70 years. It is in a plastic cistern tank mounted on a timber framed wall and reverberates through the whole house

Reply to
F Murtz

sorry Brian, i wasn't clear. Mine was the filling too but he called the part "silent flush" It is instead of a traditional ball c*ck and has something dangling in the water, like a long piece of plastic and a very tiny ball.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Mine takes ages but then its on the loft tank feed and sounds rather like a babbling brook. Wrong hole size in valve and I've never bothered to change it as there is only me here!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you had an iPad, you could show it to the OP's neighbour on FaceTime.

Reply to
j Burns

I don't do Facetime with any old riff raff!

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

The OP said he asked politely. If they were any old riff raff, wouldn't he have asked rudely?

Reply to
j Burns

Ah, you ask if it's faulty. Have you mentioned the 2.5 minutes and noise?

You need to speak face to face, no letters (Certainly not like the idiot that lives next to me). Record it on a cassette tape recorder (remember them?), take it around and play it. At this stage I would not mention ideas about offering them money to fix it, some may even take offence to that.

If nothing is done, then a short written note. Not something banged out on A4 using a cranky typewriter / inkjet or made with individual letters torn out a newspaper. A greetings card with harmonious flowers on the front, probably best.

Do you have spring/summer plans for a "get together with neighbours" party, someones birthday perhaps? Could discuss it then over cheese & wine, or some other diversion.

Reply to
Adrian C

Until a few weeks ago we had such a valve. Standard ballcock, outlet facing upwards, with a plastic U to make it face downwards and a polythene (plastic bag) tube on the end of the U.

The mechanism had worn and was squirting water out in all directions (noisily) instead of it going down the tube, so it was ditched.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW