Neighbours faulty septic tank. Off topic?

This may be off topic, but I hope to get some help here, so many knowledgeable contributors, grovel, grovel.

In my area none are on mains drainage, with no problems. However my next door neighbour has an obviously faulty septic tank. A few weeks ago it started leaking smelly effluent onto my property, I drew this to their attention so they said it needed emptying, and indeed did so.

I thought there was a problem, and so there is, less than a month later I again had the yuk coming into my garden. On speaking to them they replied it was only water overflow, I pointed out if that was the case there would be no smell.

They have dug a channel to divert the flow from my property so that it remains on theirs. Knowing "water" I reckon it will be back on mine shortly. Also it actually flows into a stream which carries onto the river Trent.

I do not wish to be a bad neighbour, but if it reoccurs what action can and should I take.

TIA

Reply to
Broadback

Let the local authority know,and the Severn Trent Authority, there may be a severe water table danger, as well as risk to your health.

Reply to
EricP

He has had two chances and does not deserve another. Phone the Environment Agency on 0800 807060 and let them sort it.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You will get a better response if you can establish whether the stream is E.A. listed. They will tell you this if you give them the location. Some streams(mostly smaller) fall outside their responsibility and are the responsibility of the riparian landowners. We have a stream problem here and the EA can do nowt as it is not "one of theirs" Regards Pete

Peter Stockdale

Ultimatly these things are regulated by the Environment Agency, the fine for operating one incorectly ranges upto 10 grand and/or 6 months in prison.

If you report an problem, I would expect the EA to turn up, and take the issue on, or give you good advice.

Rain water should not run into the tank, as in heavy rain the "muck water" does not get treated.

Keeping the muck water in their garden does not work, as it will filter down into the ground, and maybe into the drinking water or a neerby river.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

That sounds a bit weird to me, if the streem is poluted, so is the river it feeds into, so surley they will look into it ?

If your streem problem is say, "overgrown with weeds" then I understand what you say.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

With respect you are quite wrong, always assuming the watercourse is in England or Wales, since the EA are responsible for dealing with ALL pollution incidents regardless of the riparian rights owner. The phone number I gave is the one specified for reporting pollution incidents.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I had them out a couple of years ago to deal with a leaking septic tank from a local golf course and they tested, confirmed the water in the stream was polluted then refused to do anything about it as "this is quite common"

Reply to
G&M

We can thus assume that the EA do not consider such instances as a "polution incident "

Pete

Reply to
Peter Stockdale