Need to remove some electrics

Hi everyone,

I have got some electrics in my kitchen which i want to remove and i just need some advice...

I have a recess that my fridge freezer sits in.

On the outside of the recess there is a Fused connection unit, and on the inside there is a socket plate with a hole in the centre,that im guessing is for a permanent cable connection. The FCU has no fuse in it, and the other socket has a number of wires all taped up with insulating tape. I want to get rid of both of these. My house used to have oil fired heating(replaced by a previous owner), and i think the recess is where the boiler used to sit, so my questions are....

Is it safe to assume the FCU is connected to the mystery socket, and that these powered the boiler?

Should the FCU have been disconnected from the fusebox when the boiler was taken outand how can i check this?

Assuming the mystery socket is connected to the FCU, would it be connected to anything else, bearing in mind the boiler was removed at least 2 years ago.

If i put a fuse in the FCU and switch it on, whats the worse that can happen, and if nothing happens, does this mean the FCU is disconnected from the fuse box? I also have a multimeter which i think i can test household electrics on (it has a 500v setting).

If my luck is in and the FCU is dead and disconnected, whats the best thing to do with the cable so that I can fill in and plaster over the hole? (I'm guessing if the mystery socket is connected to the FCU, the wires may pull out from the FCU?)

Think thats all. I basically want to get rid of these 2, fill the holes, and don't want to kill myself!! I'm happy doing basic electrics, but this is the first time i've come across this?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Reply to
Paul_UK

This is a reasonable supposition but it is not safe to assume.

No. YOu must check it, preferably by tracing the supply cable to the FCU back to its origin.

It probably shouldn't be, but there may have been valves or thermostats somewhere.

Fire and/or electrocution are probably the worst.

Don't assume that the FCU is run as a dedicated circuit from the fusebox. It's very likely to be a spur off the socket circuit, either from a socket or a junction box.

Once you have found and disconnected (and preferably permanently disconnected by cutting back to prevent reuse) the cable supplying the FCU at its origin simply cut back the cables inside the boxes and fill with Polysupertetrionomoreplasterboardholeinwun (TM) or your choice of filler.

You must not, however, fill in either of the holes if the cable to it is still live, as the cable run must be to a *visible* accessory (on the assumption that the cable is not protected)

It's really just a case of making sure the unwanted circuit is disconnected at the origin.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Assume nothing. The connections may be anything between perfectly safe and completely mental. The fact that somebody has left wires taped up tends towards the shoddy end.

Most likely the cable to the boiler was taken out, then the fuse removed for safety and no more.

I'd flick the main switch for the house off and all the mcb's off, unscrew and ease the fcu cover from the wall. Check the wiring is as expected, check continuity from the fcu to the taped up wires (the live should be isolated from the lives on the other circuits - unless it's completely mental, but neutral and earth won't be).

Then switch the main switch back on, and the mcb's one by one until you identify which circuit it is on (make a map for the whole house if you don't have one).

As this was provided for a boiler, it may be on it's own circuit - in which case it's the ideal thing to use for your freezer (probably not RCD protected).

Reply to
dom

of course not. Its likely, but thats all

no

youll find out when you open it up

it makes something live, which you then touch while touching something else earthed, you have a heart attack, but dont die immediately, the house burns down, you and your kids die in terror, you watching them, and your other half discovers something she never knew which means insurance payout is refused.

no!

I think you need to establish whats going on first.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

So on this basis, chances are the socket is on a seperate circuit then. The wall the socket is on backs onto my garage which is where the fusebox is, so theory says i may well be able to trace the cable back to the fusebox.

The installation of the new boiler is excellent, but i suppose that doesn't mean that they took the old boiler out and made a good job of it!

Thanks for your advice. If anyone has any experience of deinstalling oil boilers, im all ears to all opinions!!

Thanks Dom

Paul snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

Reply to
Paul_UK

Thanks NT,

The putting the fuse in and death answer... the FCD has a red light on it, if i flick the power on, touch nothing and see what happens (ie red light on or off), would that be ok?

Cheers

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Reply to
Paul_UK

NO! Assume nothing - it may connect live to the swings in the garden. People do completely mental things with wiring. What you determine from testing is the only reality.

You might be able to wiggle a cable to get a clue - but it's continuity that counts.

You might be better handing this over to an electrician - if you're not

100% confident to determine circuit layout without error - or have somebody experienced to supervise until you do.
Reply to
dom

Don't assume the red light is working.

Reply to
dom

Unless you see it light up.

Reply to
dom

Im happy with circuits when it comes to sockets and lights etc, but this is the first time I have come up against one of these, so wanted to get as much advice as I can from others. I'm fortunate that I know when to quit, so if I look at it and am still not happy, the sparky will be getting a call!!

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

Reply to
Paul_UK

talking of lights lighting up.. I have seen these light up voltage finder pen things, would investing in one of those be beneficial for ease of finding if the cable is live?

snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

Reply to
Paul_UK

I think voltmeters are considered the most foolproof (having proved it against a known live).

Reply to
dom

ill stick to that then!!

Cheers

Paul snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote:

Reply to
Paul_UK

light on

....and some people wonder why Part P came about... :~(

You are potentially LETHAL, leave it well alone and call in the electrician.

Reply to
Jerry

It was a hypothetical question. I have done many electrical jobs around my house, this one is just a bit unusual. My repsonse was with reference to NT's fantastic dramatic response to my original question. I am sensible enough to know if i look at it and dont fancy it, the sparky will be coming in!!

Jerry wrote:

Reply to
Paul_UK

I do kind of get the impression that might be the best option too.

You shouldn't attempt things unless you can clearly think through every possible outcome.

Reply to
dom

you did ask... :)

the various things you say do indicate you would not be able to do this safely imho, you lack some necessary knowledge. Recommend a bit more time on here first, you'll soon be upto speed. You'd probably be fine removing it, its just nice to do better than probably.

NT

Reply to
meow2222
[ context snipped due to previous top posting ]

question.

My response was in part to your reply to NT but mainly to your input in the whole thread, IMO you are lethal with anything more than changing a plug, and even then if you are in the habit of 'assuming' you are lethal at that too. :~(

Reply to
Jerry

So have I. A few years ago I switched off the lighting circuits to check a junction box, and got two nasty belts from cables that Couldn't Possibly be live. Much shaken and suitably reminded of my own mortality I now never work on any electrical project without flicking The Big Red Switch. And even then I still check the terminals with a voltmeter!

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

Wonderfully put. Should be the first thing on the front of every DIY manual!

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet