need to make a kits playfort watertight that has decking for the floor on the second story....how?

An unusual one this one!

I have built a kids climbing frame/fort in the back garden. On the bottom I have made it into a room, above that is decking boards which in turn has a roof over it. It is however exposed to the elements.

(see

to view what I mean. Its difficult to explain!)

Now the problem I have is this:

The decking sits on support beams. It obviously has expansion gaps, so water can and does unfortunately get through. I cant just seal the decks from underneath, since it would allow the water to settle between the gaps and eventually with no escape (except evaporation) would rot the timber. Not the ideal solution to keep "downstairs" dry.

Because, the deck boards are "interrupted" by the support, there is no long run of these gaps either.

What I had thought of doing, is running a lenght of taupalin between each support, covering the full extent (with about an inch gap from the deck), and sloping it to one end, so any water that gets through can be fed into a drainage "gutter" pipe and fed out. However, as much is this might work, getting it just right would be very tricky - and is there tiny guttering I could get anyway?

So, my big question - what do you think would be the best work round for this problem?

Any assistance and helpful suggestions appreciated......by me and the kids! ;-)

Cheers

Guv

Reply to
guv

Extend the roof line a bit ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Im sure the neighbours would appreciate that!!! ;-)

Reply to
guv

In article , guv writes

If the gaps aren't too wide, I would run a bead of clear silicone between the boards to seal it.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Sack the architect! ;) Seriously though, a sheet of ali or well treated thin ply underneath could do it, with some small standoffs to stop the joists sitting in water.

If there was a 'fall' towards one corner and some strips on the edge with a gap at that corner it should be possible to direct the water it catches into a downpipe.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Silicone sealant in gaps applied from above, not below. It should be more or less level with floor surface, not recessed significantly. More roof overhang would help too. If it isnt already, standing the whole structure just off the ground would prevent base rot - ensure stability / security though.

I would use a sloping roof if you build another too. When the rain gets to the edge it would usually have enough velocity to fall a bit further away from the base. Also means roofing dries off much quicker when it gets wet.

Do those stairs meet building regs? :)

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton