Need to make a a cheap external rendered wall (for looks only - not loadbearing)

Hi all,

I need to make a an external rendered wall, purely for aesthetic purposes. It is not load-bearing but needs to be cheap and fairly long-lasting (say

20 years or so). What material could I use? I could use concrete blocks, but it's kind of hard work and I'd like to save money as much as possible. There is alread a footing in place from long ago.

The purpose of the wall is to make a false side to a rendered brick shed which was built out-of-square. My planned facing is to make the shed LOOK square, even though the underlying structure isn't. The existing roof will overhang the new facing.

I thought of maybe using WBP ply with some kind of mesh attached to hold the rendering, but that sounds like it would break down pretty quick, just by the ravages of weather alone...

Don't they build houses out of plywood these days? They end up looking as though the are rendered... I'm wondering what materials and methods are used..

I suppose breeze blocks would be another option. Are they any cheaper than concrete blocks?

Thank you! A

Reply to
AL_n

Assuming its under render, then it will be fine. Its what most loft extensions, dormers etc are made from.

OSB3 would probably do as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Rendered EML would work. SS lasts rather better. Another option is papercrete, either as blocks or cast in situ. Cheap as chips, and lasts.

NT

Reply to
NT

yeah. That will work.

yep. Mine is like that - on an oak and softwood frame tho

Dont think so. TBH its not big money to knock up a block wall.

ply is no cheaper really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lightweight blocks are marginally more money, and far less strain. If you're desperate for cheap, you could always use rendered rubble

NT

Reply to
NT

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:k1ocp9$ogo$4 @news.albasani.net:

That's a good point; I had forgotten how expensive ply is these days!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

AL_n