Need to connect two waste pipes to trap

Hi,

I have just bought my first dishwasher, but my waste trap only has one waste pipe connection which is being used by the washing machine. Any idea where I can get an adapter to connect both pipes? So far I've only seen complete waste traps, but I only need the bit that screws on to my current waste trap with two pipe connectors.

TIA,

Marky P.

Reply to
Marky P

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:42:07 +0100 someone who may be Marky P wrote this:-

You are assuming that there is a suitable bit to screw on. There may not be one, though without knowing more about your trap I doubt if anyone could say.

Traps which take two machine outlets are available from a range of suppliers, in a variety of designs. Someone who can afford a dishwasher should be able to buy such a trap and they tend to be flexible enough to fit most situations.

Reply to
David Hansen

Hello,

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I have included some links. I have no relation to the company involved, other than being an occasional customer.

You say that you have a trap being used by a washing machine, so does it look like this:

can get appliance adaptors like this...

allow you to connect appliance into traps, though I always thought they were meant for sink traps rather than washing machine ones.

Of course you could cut into the drain pipe after your existing trap and fit a tee piece and add a second trap to that.

anyone here know the reason that washing mcahine traps have a long length of pipe? I have three ideas:

  1. It prevents back syphoning of foul water into the washer

  1. If the washing machine drains faster than the waste pipe can manage, it prevents flooding from the trap overflowing

  2. Assuming they are fitted low down, it lifts the drain to a more convenient height, that you can easily reach behind the washer.

Does anyone know which (if any) are right? If (2) if both the dishwasher and washing machine drained at the same time, could this be an issue?

Reply to
nospam

dual appliance trap at B&Q-

search for 5011141108123

Reply to
Ageless

Hi,

I use one of these:

They come with a non return valve so can go either side of a trap.

Some say they're not the 'proper' way to do things but I've had no problems with mine.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks for all the replys. I've decided to go for a complete trap with two spigots, which I got off ebay for £4 brand new.

Cheers,

Marky P.

Reply to
Marky P