Need new garden shredder - advice please

I think it was last year when there was a thread about this and we intended following the advice but didn't get round to it - story of my life! Trouble is, since we'd determined to buy a new one we gve a son the old one. It worked well but was noisy.

Models might well have changed now - has anyone any ideas please?

I'd like one which will deal with branches up to 1" (25mm) thick - easily - and which isn't too bulky and is relatively quiet.

TIA,

Mary please don't say go to urg by the way!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Bought a Bosch AXT 2000HP recently (based on advice from this newsgroup). Would have no hesitation in recommending it. Quiet, efficient.

Frank

Mary Fisher wrote:

Reply to
Frank

"Frank" wrote

I bought the 1600W version a few years back and it has been great. I would think the 2000W version is much better, ours does up to 30mm branches (iirc) and the 2000 does 40mm, that would save a load of time.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

These posts are exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for.

Where does one buy these beasts?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yup second that. I have a AXT 2000HP as well.

(I think there is a more powerful 2200HP available now).

Good points: copes with thick stuff, very good on branches etc. Nice and quiet. Recent experiance getting spares for it was also reassuring (the

5 fir trees I stuck thought it a few years ago seemed to take its toll on its performance a bit. My fiend feeding it a bit of angle iron by mistake was the final straw!)

Down sides: Not good on fresh soft greeen stuff - better to leave it in a pile for a couple of days to dry out a bit before shreading.

Has wheels, but quite heavy to move about.

Reply to
John Rumm

I was in Homebase the other day, looking at shredders. I think Bosch were the type they had there..... about £200 or thereabout?

Reply to
Tony Williams

I Googled and "the Bosch AXT 2000HP comes out as the best of a bad bunch"

The spec says: Particularly easy to use due to its low weight and adjustable working height

10 Amp fuse

Twice.

It's £174.97 with free delivery. That seems very affordable but gift wrapping isn't available :-(

They also feature the 2200, I'm going to look at that now.

Bosch AXT 2200 HP Silent Garden Shredder Our Price: £259.89 I wonder if it's worth the extra ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Our local parish council has a community-owned shredder. As it's something most people don't use very often but which helps cut down on over-flowing bins and avoids a lot of garden bonfires, it was (I presume) deemed to be something that would give some benefit to the community. It means that we can use a much more substantial piece of machinery than we would otherwise be able to justify buying. It might be that there is something similar where you live, or if not, you might like to consider trying to arrange the same. As far as I know, it works very well here.

Kieran

Reply to
Kieran Mansley

I bought one of these a couple of years ago, and have been very pleased with it. Copes with large stuff without any trouble, small material sometimes has to be persuaded towards the cutting wheel, but that's not a problem.

Chris J Dixon

Thanks, Kieran, we've always served as a resource centre for the family and community. It makes absolute sense.

I just wish that others would compost. Mrs Next Door won't but puts all her lawn mowings into bags and gives them to me. The chap on the other side has a gardener who takes away all the waste, no doubt for his own compost. Most just dump stuff in their bins and refuse to give it away, they say they pay for the service ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks to everyone,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Several graded machines on Ebay regularly. 2000AXT £119 +carriage typically

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks, but I've never done e-bay - it all looks too complicated!

I've already ordered it from Amazon, £174.97 including carriage.We're happy with that,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Adjustable, as in "with a spanner"...

10 Amp fuse... well I guess that clinches it then! ;-)

Depends on whether size matters!

Reply to
John Rumm

LOL! But my point was that these desirable features were repeated.

He says not. I agree. If he'd said he preferred the larger one I'd have argued :-)

What would have made him go for the larger one would be if it had a larger capacity - i.e. branch diameter. Since they were the same and we only have a small garden to service we really can't justify a bigger motor. I let him say that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher writes

We look forward to your review of the thing when you get it - I'm thinking of getting one too.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I intended reporting. All those holly branches I over-enthusiastically cut off the other night are blocking the hen's progress!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Initially I had a cheap and cheerful rotating blade one from B&Q - can't remember the make at the moment but it was green :-) It worked OK but was prone to jamming if too much soft material was put in, and you had to put in some effort to feed it. It came with a black plastic paddle to help push stuff down the shute. When it jammed it was a case of undoing a thumbscrew and removing the case to clear the blockage. It didn't take too long for the thread on the plastic bit it screwed into to got worn, making it even more fiddly to do up again. It finally bit the dust when a piece of metal accidentally got fed into it and the blades were damaged. They were reversible but I couldn't get one of the screws undone to do this despite application of WD40, a blowtorch and lots of cursing.

After reading some comments on here I got a Bosch AXT2000HP from these people on eBay -

's a graded machine, shows some signs of use, but works just fine. It's screw type instead of a fast rotating blade and it's streets ahead of the item described above. It's much quieter, handles thicker material and pretty much feeds itself as stuff is dropped in the top. If it jams just flip the switch to reverse the screw and the offending item pops back out for you to try again or throw away.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Walters

The one we had and gave to a son - no he was OK but needed something to clear the garden so we could take the hens round - was the bladed type. Yellow. It was fine and Spouse used his new toy to shred everything in sight at first but when he read about the worm type on DIY he got ambitious. He's not often acquisitive, when he is I indulge him.

But we never got round to buying a new one although we did go to B&Q and look. My re-visiting the subject is because the other night in a fit of enthusiasm and power madness with a new pair of swivel handled secateurs (from Aldi I think, and excellent) I cut off lots of holly branches and they're now in the way.

Amazon has told me that the new machine is on its way. In my experience they're very efficient, books usually come the day after I order them even on the standard delivery.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher writes

Well I decided I couldn't wait for Mary's review and got one from B&Q over the weekend (the Bosch AXT2000). I've spent a happy weekend shredding things and it does exactly what it says on the box, not too noisy. I've clogged it up once with lots of green mushy bits but feeding through a nice big stick sorted it out.

An unexpected bonus was that my two toddlers stayed entertained for hours watching the bits fall out of the bottom, then carrying them off to the compost heap.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell