Need a nut

Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket to get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ... I was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

Reply to
James

"James" typed

It might be 8mm on the outside but its internal threading is what's critical to get right. Is it M5 or what?

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Yes, an 8mm spanner size nut is an M5. Ask on UK.rec.models.engineering and someone will probably pop one in an envelope for you. Can't see an online bolt supplier wanting to sell you a single nut.

Reply to
Dave Baker

You got any old videos knock about? ruage the garage for scrap ites that you have no longer use for? If I was a supplier I certainly would not sell just one nut...sheesh! it would'nt even be worth the hassle thinking about it.

Reply to
George

Hi,

Try:

Maybe best to buy 2 or 3... or 10 ;)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

ffs - you need to get a life - never mind about a nut.

If you find anywhere who will sell you just one - I suggest you get a

1 inch nail as well just in case you need one in the future.

(On the other hand - if you are a troll - not bad - you got me ;-)

Reply to
judith

Sometimes that works the other way around like the time I was doing a job in a little village somewhere in Wales and I needed some cable clips for 3 pair telephone wire. I go a few doors down to the local ironmongers / hardware store and she had excatly the clips I wanted. Just one box should do it I said You want the whole box? was the surprised reply, I normally sell them at 4p each. She then proceeded to count the contents of the box.

Reply to
Graham.

You buy nuts and bolts by the thread size which isn't the same as the spanner one. IIRC, you want a 5mm nut.

You'll pay dearly for this one nut if mail order. Most mail order firms have a minimum order value and minimum carriage charge, so I'd say you might be lucky to get one for much less than a tenner or so - Screwfix price for 1000 including postage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you want to contact me (observe spam trap) and send me an SAE I'll happily give you one. As it were.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nice one Oete thats exactly what I need!

Top bloke :)

Reply to
James

huh ... I'm not a troll or any other creature that lives under bridges!

Why bother buying a pack of nuts that I will never ever use ? obviously the link pete gave in his post have a supplier selling just one, must be a demand. If I bought a pack it would just sit around taking up space and most likly end up in a bin.

I don't need any nails, besides its hard finding one nail these days ;-p

Reply to
James

Thanks for the kind offer but I didn't read further down and ordered from the link in Petes post.

Thanks anyway though.

Reply to
James