Need a new SDS drill

even

Quality and longevity was not the point.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I *don't* think it does approaching the same quality, etc - the list above was simply to show DP that his "important" figure of impact energy was not so (at all) important in the cost of things. How the hell can you tell the "quality" from those figures? Since he was plain wrong, he can't answer the questions, & can only prevaricate!

I don't think he's *always* wrong. However, what "got my rag out" was people's insistence that the various statements are right, when they patently are not, and then, after, that those statements in fact meant something other than the words in them actually say, coupled with the general pig-ignorance about What Things Are Made Of And Why, never mind what's good enough for a job.

Never Mind. I'm going to have a cup of tea now.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

even

Ah OK perhaps I should have read the entire thread (including the Killfiled posters) before making comments, I thought this started as a cost/quality/ will it do the job/ or will it catch fire and decapitate me type discussion.

indeed :-)

at 16.00 you must be a builder.

-
Reply to
Mark

even

Can point out where Richard Cranium was right please?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bacon saying something like:

Maybe because you are a tiresome wanker who feels the need to defend a cheap piece of shit?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Are you a tiresome pig-ignorant wanker who can't read a thread? If not, tell me where I "defend a cheap piece of shit" in it. Go on.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Since you seem to be incapable of understanding a simple statement I'll go through it again as you do when teaching children.

My original comment was to Drivel - since he seems to think the large power input of a cheap tool makes it somehow more desirable over other models.

It doesn't. It's the output power which matters - however it is measured.

And if a cheapy needs a 1000 watt (input) motor to do what a decent one can with a 600 watt, it means it's a poor design of motor and probably drive mechanism. And likely, the end result rather heavier than it could be. And all that wasted energy goes in heat, which isn't a good thing for the longevity of the tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well this *is* a bit like the playground. Fact is you originally said wattage was *no* indicator of power when maybe you should have said it wasn't the *only* indicator.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Me too. I'm going for the Co Op tea bags which are miles cheaper than Fortnum and Masons

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And I'll stick by that. It only tells the power consumption. Which is no indication of power out.

It's as near as dammit meaningless when assessing the performance of a power tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Bacon saying something like:

----------------------- Well, I've put my Aldi cheapo on the bathroom scales, and it weight a fraction short of 5 Kg. This hasn't caused me problems so far as I don't do lots of over head drilling with it, e.g. into concrete floors (none, actually!). It's OK for short periods above head height. On the side is a label mentioning the (UK freephone) service hotline. It's 850W, not 900 as I incorrectly remembered. No load speed 800 RPM, 3150 BPM, steel/13mm, concrete/26mm, "wood" 30mm, brick/core drill 90mm. The bumf says 4.2J. It came with grease, non-SDS chuck adaptor with a chuck key, 1 chisel, 1 pointed breaker, 1

22mmx200 bit, 16/12/10mm x 100 bits, a peg spanner to undo the gearbox grease plug, and a 300mm long bit of round spring steel with a crank in one end that might be a depth stop, or something, and a round rubber bellows thing (additional to the dust cover at the bit end), and a spare pair of brushes. If it came with anything else, those bit are now MIA. It's done lots of work, now this desk is a bit oily and has some masonry dust on it. I've now an absurd urge to drill a hole in something.

-------------------------

Sounds pretty defensive to me. Go on, be more tiresome.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Matt saying something like:

Yep. That had occurred to me. An IMM/DD sockpuppet.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble saying something like:

What's the impact energy like, though?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

His comprehension was spot on. Has the nurse wiped down the spilt lunch from your sweater yet?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard Cranium is less than childish.

No. He meant "wattage was *no* indicator of power". That was clear. He never serviced his boiler fior 12 years you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My God!!! Someone who lives around Barstow trying to make out he's clever.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You clearly didn't understand a word he wrote.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

I'm wondering if you wrote it; that would explain it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well, thank you for explaining that so plainly - combined with your earlier efforts, it shows even more evidently what you know. I'm sure you're aware of this already.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Now I'm drinking Thatcher's cider. It's a lot cheaper than many things, but it does the job. It's also quite good stuff. Available in T3sc0.

Reply to
Chris Bacon