Need 50 slick-looking sheets of letterhead [OT]

Just bought a Topfield PVR. And guess what? It's got a RISC processor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which particular one is it?

Reply to
John Cartmell

TF5800 with 250Gb HD. It certainly does what it says on the box. Two niggles - the prog listing is only for the channel you are on. My Sony box allowed you to look through them all without changing channel.

Other one is more annoying. If you set the machine to do a timer recording etc while you're out, it switches on my TV if left in standby.

Picture and sound quality appears to be exactly as broadcast.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does the Topfield allow you to extract the recordings to a PC?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Sorry - just found the specs - it claims so...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Have you checked to see if TAPs allow access to these? The Toppy allows you to produce (TAPs) proglets that modify its behaviour and I believe there are hundreds available free.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a thought. I've joined the Toppy forum, but haven't got round to checking out everything on there.

The instruction book supplied with the machine reads like it was computer translated. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FWIW, you could probably knobble that by disconnecting the switching pin in your SCART cable.

Kim.

Reply to
kimble

You can but it also disables the auto 4:3/16:9 switching.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't leave your TV on standby, it's causing global warming all by itself.

Reply to
Steve Firth

From one who insists on driving a vast 4x4? Puleese...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Everyone owns a telly. Hardly anyone owns a 4x4 (despite the volume of bigotry from the antis.)

Reply to
Huge

Good to see that you're as hypocritical as a Duhg in this respect.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So what? The extra CO2 a large 4X4 produces over a similar passenger capacity car with the same performance probably accounts for a village worth of TVs on standby. Plus the fact that any heat produced by my TV being left on standby isn't wasted at this time of the year - it simply reduces the heating supplied by the central heating.

And yet again I'll state I'm not anti 4X4 where they're needed for the purpose they were originally designed for. Simply anti Chelsea Tractors.

But all 4x4 owners seem to want to defend them regardless of the havoc badly driven ones cause in large towns when driven by people who just by them as a fashion statement and can't drive them properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Central heating??? I got my big cooling fan out of the cupboard yesterday.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not warm enough yet in London, although the weather forecast says it will be later this week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No I'm not. Compare the figures for the much slower BMW X5 to a BMW 5 series touring fitted with the same engine.

Or any other you want to make.

4x4s are heavy and have much more friction in their drive train. Which makes a big difference to their town fuel consumption. And the poor aerodynamics make them use more fuel at speed.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[here the attributions were ballsed by someone]

Sorry Dave, but if you're going to get all accurate and use facts, then you probably won't get an answer.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

ESPACE 3.0 dCi

CO2 EMISSIONS: 252g/km FUEL CONSUMPTION: (urban) 21.2mpg/ (extra urban) 38.3mpg/ (combined)

29.8mpg

Land Rover Discovery3 2.7 V6 TD range CO2 EMISSIONS: 249 g/km FUEL CONSUMPTION: (urban) 24.5mpg / (extra urban) 34.5mpg / (combined)

30.0mpg

Again with the BMW fixation.

He'll have to start providing facts instead of hand waving.

And again, what does my (or anyone else's) choice of vehicle have to do with *you*? Would you care to describe your car so that I can tell you that you don't need it and would be best served by Shank's pony?

Reply to
Steve Firth