Need 50 slick-looking sheets of letterhead [OT]

Whatever happened to OS2 Warp, sold as an alternative to Win 95 and supposed to be able to run Windows apps. It nearly did most of the time but I gave up and bought W95.

Reply to
Sharky

"Amanda Angelika" wrote

They are useful for holding onto its ANDIES!!

Reply to
Tim

eComStation *is* OS/2, but updated and with lots of other stuff. Still runs Win 3.1 apps!

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:19:56 GMT "Amanda Angelika" waved a wand and this message magically appeared:

Is there a picture of you withyour phone with two arms anywhere on the 'net? Did it come from the carphone warehouse? Does it sing and dance? And make love? ...

Reply to
Alex Buell

You haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about. I have administered a suite of RISC OS machines in school and I have the results of a survey of all schools and LEAs in England & Wales into the TCOs of school computers. Windows machines cost 10, 100 (or in one case 1000!) times more than the equivalent RISC OS machines. Setup? Switch it on. Load a new program? Drag it from disc to hard drive. Delete an unwanted program? Click on the single icon and delete. Copy a file/directory under a new name? Copy and type in new name before dragging it to new location. Defrag? Never needed. And very much more.

RISC OS was designed with schools in mind and so has a GUI that was designed to be simple to use and administer.

Reply to
John Cartmell

On 25 Apr 2006 16:31:55 GMT "Bob Eager" waved a wand and this message magically appeared:

Who the hell runs Win 3.1 apps anyway?

Reply to
Alex Buell

You had your chance of making a reasonable comment right at the start. You blew it by going out of your way to make an invalid statement (=lie). Your comments on the subject are now of no worth.

Reply to
John Cartmell

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:39:51 +0100 John Cartmell waved a wand and this message magically appeared:

It ain't the real world. In the real world we like using real tools.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Well I usually Use CorelDraw. But you can use Word if you have nothing else to hand and it's OK for designing letterheads. In fact bearing mind a lot of people and companies use Word or a similar Word processor to write letters in any case having pre-printed stationary consistent with their word processor would be an advantage :)

That said to be honest I don't know why anyone would bother with pre-printed letterheads these days if they use a word processor and printer to print their letters in any case. Surely they would be better off investing in a good printer, using the proper inks and quality paper for their letters and current Inkjet printers are more than adequate as long you use quality paper and inks.

In which case of course they would need a Word Template and a Word Template is best designed in Word or at least to be compatible with whatever word processor they are using :)

So in a way you could say the OPs question is a bit of a red herring because one wonders why anyone living in the modern world and in their right mind should be spending hundreds of pounds forward investing in tons of pre-printed letter headed stationary, unless one intends to write one's letters by hand with a quill pen or still use 1930s Reminton Typewriter :) It's a total waste of money LOL

Reply to
Amanda Angelika

Tsk Cartmell, you may be pissed off but there's no need to descend to actionable libel. Does the turnover of your rag run to a payout?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have a couple...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Meanwhile in the real world.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It does sort of sing and dance and make love, it has vibribrating ringtones LOL And no I didn't buy it from Car Phone Warehouse I bought it on eBay :) Where else? LOL

Reply to
Amanda Angelika

All my software development from about 1992-97 was done on OS/2 boxes. It genuinely was a better DOS than DOS and better Windows than Windows. But gradually you were reduced to running old 16-bit apps whilst there were much better ones available on Windows. Nowadays I get periodic calls from Mac users and have to tell them that our apps are PC only, and the same is probably true for most niche products apart from graphics.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

For viewing file contents I still use list.com which goes back to CP/M days.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

..having an easy to use GUI is a damn sight better than having one 'designed' by half-(and badly) copying everyone else's and doing it by committee Microsoft-style.

I'm not trying to get you to change. Just telling you that your comments are of no value.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Libels need to be untrue. Your 'dead' doesn't correctly describe a system with new hardware and a new OS.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Back under your bridge, troll.

Reply to
Huge

But Firthy was right about one thing; you really are a *long* way up your own arse, aren't you?

Reply to
Huge

Most amusing. For all practical intents and purposes, RISC OS is dead. Hell, I collect old computers and even *I* don't have a RISC OS machine. And so far as the IT industry is concerned, RISC OS never lived in the first place.

By all means enjoy your niche, but please don't try and convince us that it is anything else but a niche.

Reply to
Huge