Neat, practical route for two water pipes, in this case?

Hi, Would anyone kindly advise how they would route two 15mm water pipes (hot & cold tap water) in the following case? Below is a link to a sketch. I need to route the 2 pipes from (A) to (B) in the sketch.

the scrappy sketch)

I'm not sure how best to do it. I don't want to route the pipes up into the space above the ceiling, because that space is accessible from the flat above. I'd prefer them to go through the brick wall in the sketch and end up below the suspended floor somewhere. Routing the

2 new pipes parallel to, and just above, the 2 existing C/H pipes would be OK in the kitchen, but I'm not sure how to take the pipes through the wall... I could drill two 20mm holes through the wall, pointing downward at a steep angle, but the 2 existing central heating pipes will be in the way...

Alternatively, I could take the pipes straight through the wall, horizontally, staying parallel with, and just above, the C/H pipes into the dining room, and let them continue that way for the entire length of the dining room, then down through the party wall between the dining room and the hall (passing through it at steep downward angle to end up in the space under the hall floor and then through to the space under the WC room floor. That would be the most practical and heat-retaining solution, but the idea of having 4 water pipes running along the wall above the skirting in the dining room seems very unsightly to me. The existing two are bad enough! It would also require a very long 20mm masonry bit (something I don't have)...

Thank you for any help/suggestions...

Mike D

Reply to
Mike D

This would be a good project for an SDS drill.

You could drill and remove some of the kitchen floor right in the corner next to the wall. 150-200mm depth should be enough. Then you can drill through the wall from that hole to provide a location. From the dining room side, drill through the wall horizontally just above the hole you just drilled. Drill further holes in a vertical line sufficient to allow 4 pipes to pass through with space in between. Since the joists are running along the same line as the pipe runs, arrangement of the pipes is easy.

In order to avoid needing to take up a lot of the dining room floor boards, plastic pipe could be used and quite easily threaded through. You could attach it suitably to the joists or some timber attached to them out of contact with the earth. The pipe can be insulated with Armaflex or similar good quality insulation with thickness at least the diameter of the pipe, preferably more. Taking the pipes through the floor of the dining room and the cloakroom is now very easy and you end up with a much better situation.

You can get good SDS drills for < £100 and there are certainly long

20mm bits available.
Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:52:01 +0100, Mike D mused:

Depending how much of a job you want to make of it I'd maybe remove the 2 CH pipes and have them all underfloor, insulated obviously. You could drill from the Kitchen at an angle reaonably easily and fix the pipes to the underside of the joists.

Use plastic pipes for ease of routing.

Do you have a decent drill that could take a long 20mm bit though?

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks to you and Andy. My options seems to be very limited.

I think it might cope with this one job, provided I can find a 18mm or

20mm bit that will fit my drill's chuck. I was really hoping to avoid shelling out for a further power tool which I'll rarely use. I suppose I could hire a large drill and bit.

Mike

Reply to
Mike D

Can you get into the void under the floor?

if so, why not take them through the K/D wall (short 20mm drill needed) then dive down under the susp floor and come up againin WC room. You'd drill through the D/H wall and H/WC walls below floor level.

if it's a combi boiler then do you technically need to involve building control?

Robert

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:57:54 -0700, a particular chimpanzee, RobertL randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The walls below the floor are probably honeycombed (i.e., with alternate half brick gaps every course) for ventilation. If so, no drilling required.

Not if it's being installed by a CORGI.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Wuff! Wuff!