Nearly but not quite 1" BSP

Ordered my 1" BSP hose connector and found that although it was the right diameter the thread would not start. Looking at it, I think that the thread on the tap is slightly finer than the one in my Hozelock connector, and possibly the external diameter of the thread may be around 0.5mm larger - haven't taken the calipers there yet.

I will enquire around the allotment to see if anyone knows what the fittings are, but meanwhile does anyone know of fittings which are nearly but not quite 1" BSP?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

David WE Roberts

Nope :-) I reckon changing the tap would be easier. You could do it live in this weather!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You haven't got an NPT tap?

NPT threads have flattened peaks and valleys, with BSP they're rounded.

Reply to
Onetap

Deffo a non standard tap.

Best/easiest to change it for a standard one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

However, not my tap. The water system is supplied by the council who own the allotments. They all seem to have these fittings. A lot of them have bodged short pipes using gaffer tape - that may be the next solution.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Could you ask the council about the thread - they might even have couplings?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That would be my thought as well. The slightly larger OD and marginally finer thread would match. A very odd choice though.

These people are very helpful, do small order telephone sales against card payment and may be able to help with an adaptor.

they cannot do 1" NTP to BSP, I would try a plastic 1" BSP to 3/4" BSP reducer. The threads are close enough that it should be possible to attach it with a bit of brute force and 3/4" BSP is a much more common size for hose connectors.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I could alternatively attach my 1" BSP hose connector by brute force - although I did use a medium amount of force to try and start it and it wasn't showing any inclination to cooperate.

Someoner will know - it is just a matter of finding them :-)

NTP sounds like a possibility.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I suspect that will depend upon the material. IME plastic Hozelock seems to be a little brittle. If you have a brass connector, it might help to file a cutting edge in the first few threads on the tap. Just make sure it is on the opposite side from the start of the thread.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Having looked at the photo, the name looks like it may be Philmac; they're a UK manufacturer of blue plythene pipoe and fittings. E-mail them, if it is them.

Possible, but profoundly weird that you'd have a US thread on one end of a UK-made tap, maybe a ploy to stop everyone nicking the council's water. I came across NPT on US-made equipment. I'd recommend replacing the tap rather than trying to get adaptors; I got some from Swagelok, mucho $.

Or do a bodge with a bit of hose big enough to jubilee clip over the thread and copper reducers down to 22mm and 3/4" BSP..

Reply to
Onetap

I clocked the 'philmac' as well - looked at their website but they seem to do pipe fittings but not the taps. The tap has another name on it but my 'macro' feature on the camera did not focus on it well enough. Off with a piece of paper to write the details down.

I may try some gaffer tape and the Hozelock 1" connector to see if I can get a temporary connection which is not too leaky.

Probably end up with a series of step down sizes to garden hose - but it would be nice to have a fitting I can fit easily then remove.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Tap seems to have Conex 3/4 stamped on it. It also has a CR mark but this just indicates that the item is made of a resistant material. I have looked at the Conex website but I can't find water taps there. Neither can I seem to Google them.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

A Conex compression fitting probably. A 28mm Conex nut just fits over a male 1" BSP thread but the threads don't match up at all. The Conex thread is a much finer pitch and has flattened peaks, which seems similar to your tap and NPT threads.Have a look and see if the outlet is recessed for an olive; I've never seen a bib tap that was.

Are you sure your hose fitting isn't 3/4" BSp (about 1" OD on the thread)?. Philmac make a 3/4" brass bib tap, No 3033,that looks like yours.

Reply to
Onetap

Had a little Google and come up with the following:

  1. The Philmac bit is just the wall plate: -

I agree, Conex are not listing garden taps on their website and there's nothing on Google either.

  1. Pegler do a garden tap with "American Thread"

need to view in IE. IF the above link doesn't work, browse to:-

and search for product code 511037

  1. The 3/4" American thread alluded to is probably the US Garden Hose Thread with an outer diameter of 1.0625" and 11.5 TPI.

You need a piece like this:

is a "1/2 HB X 3/4 FHT GH SWIVEL"

Which translates as 1/2" hose barb to 3/4" female hose thread garden hose swivel.

If you know someone in the US of A, they can probably post one to you.

HTH DaveyOz

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Given that the standard garden hose fitting is 3/4" BSP and I have bought and tried to fit a 1" BSP Hozelock connector which seemed the correct size but the wrong thread pitch I am reasonably sure that it is not 3/4" BSP :-)

Interesting about the 28mm nut though - it could always be a metric tap.

From the picture and in real life the tap looks like a water tap - not any kind of drain tap or stop tap. I will check for any signs of a cup for an olive to confirm that it is not a compression fitting.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Update - I noticed a Hozelock adaptor in B&Q which had a diameter of around

1". The inside was filled with rubber/plastic at a lower diameter but my Lidl craft knives soon sorted that. Now able to use a hosepipe at the allotment.

Manufacturers of the tap were initially helpful on the phone but crap at responding to emails.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts