NC batteries

I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never understand NiMh.

Any thoughts?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

He'll make you a custom pack if he has any NiCds left.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hmm Thats a standard RC nicad size.. I THINK they are still available.

The sanyo KR 1000 cells are VERY good indeed.. only 1000mAh but that's all you can get in NiCd - for 2000mAh you need NiMh so if the 2000 is capacity, they ARE NiMh.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Old low capacity nicads are still rattling around in drawers, any on ebay?

NT

Reply to
NT

Clearly says Ni-Cd on the cases. I guess the lower capacity would simply reduce the time an alarm sounder would run. My problem is persuading the engine management system that the alarm is not triggered so they might do.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , NT writes

I tried one search but found no Ni-Cd sellers. I'll try different wording.

I have some dead power tool batteries which might still have some working cells.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

IIR the early Golf was factory fitted with a Gemini alarm unit but in the late 90's they used Cobra,both consisted of volts drop sensors via the courtesy light and sonic "air " sensors along with Ignition cut out and indicator flashers. The Gemini system is 3 part; control unit inner bulkhead ,air sensors behind radio and sounder under bonnet whilst the Cobra was a single encapsulated unit under the bonnet both had 6V Nicad packs as you describe used primarily to run the sounder in case of 12v failure. If you get really stuck repost and I will rummage through my old car gear for a pack but it may be as bad as yours.I do have 2 6 stick sets you can have if you want to butcher 1 cell out. Let me know but am going on jollies in 12hrs be back next week. CJ

I was fast asleep when these came up for discussion....

My problem is the alarm system for my daughter's dead 1997 VW Golf GTi contains 5 AA size cells soldered in series.

The installed cells are Varta NC 2000. Naturally Varta no longer admit to such an item or any specification.

Is a replacement available? The charger forms part of the alarm circuit and I have no idea of it's intelligence level but assume it would never understand NiMh.

Any thoughts?

regards

Reply to
CJ

I cant remember whether NiMH can be left on very low current charge indefinitely, all other battery types can. If so, just reducing charge rate to a very low level might permit NiMH use

NT

Reply to
NT

OK a google suggests its actually a 260mAh part - its an NC-2000 260.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not AA Get those Sanyos. Use plumbers flux and a BIG hot iron to solder em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not wise to use NiMh in legacy kit. Its is - apart from higher capacity and not being so poisonous, inferior to NiCd.

Its loses capacity more quickly, it self discharges badly and its very intolerant of being flattened.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In that case why not get some poundland AAAs, up the charging resistance and try it.

NT

Reply to
NT

Oh I'm sure it would ork with them, but not sure how long and what the charging rate might be.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Unless they are being fast charged - unlikely with this sort of thing - NiMH will replace NiCad ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Natural Philosopher wrote: and its very

Like our cat was.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright