Naughty TLC

I often recommend TLC here as being a 'one stop' electrical supplier where a basket of goods will be pretty competitive. Indeed, I recently mentioned them in connection with an 11 pin mains relay for by CH emergency back up system. I'm in the process of making the final version, so wanted to replace the rather tired and battered relay I'd used in the prototype with a new one. So off to TLC for that and some other bits.
On buying the relay and base, I was surprised to find RS components numbers on the packaging, and RS logos on the parts. So looked up the RS price.
TLC RS Relay 10.10 7.71 Base 5.30 3.58
All plus VAT, of course. And the RS price is for one only - buy several and it comes down.
Of course it's my fault for not shopping around. But I had so much confidence in TLC that I thought it wouldn't make very much difference on a component like this which is unlikely to be on special offer anywhere.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Well, I wouldn't expect TLC to shift many items like those, so you can hardly expect them to go straight to the manufacturer. They're pretty good on electrical accessories, though, which is their main purpose.
Christian.
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:00:11 UTC, "Christian McArdle"

I was observing the other day (may have ben in this group, can't remember) that if you're not dealing with stuff that is a supplier's core business, you may well pay over the odds....!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I think that's fair comment. It really depends also on how much time you want to spend researching prices on individual items vs. looking across a range of purchases from given suppliers.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager wrote:

Fired earth is teh prime example. Good on terracotta tiles, everything else a ripoff.

It's in their cat., so I'd guess they expect to sell a few. The cat, says to ask about stock of things that aren't shown in it.
And I'd assume they buy a few at a time since they were in stock, and the 25+ cost (not unreasonable given their number of branches) is 7.08 making a 43% mark up.

Well, so are the sheds, but get you on all the other little bits you need. I *thought* TLC were more consistent.
--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

London SW 12

door entry system today. RS price 85, Farnell 19.99, Newey & Eyre 9.99 - catalogue pictures looked identical and the specs were the same. Guess who got the business? Regards, Richard.
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:01:11 -0000, "Frisket"

RS because you wanted it by 0900 tomorrow morning ? :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

TLC generally deliver by 10am for me. They seem to send a van from the local depot, rather than a courier.
Christian.
London SW 12

Having just spent best part of 350 with TLC I've found my local Denmans are slightly better on price, only by about 5% but they don;t stock all the things TLC do, ie. PIR switches, various inline fans etc.
Tony
Tony