Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue?

Yes, I remember that from when I restored an old lute once. A little research now suggests that casein glue is rather more resistant to damp. But so far I have not been able to find any of the natural stuff. All I have found is a synthetic version. I'm wondering if I can simply use casein protein powder from a sports nutrition outlet.

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Isn't hide glue water soluble? That's why they use is on violins and the like - you an "undo" the entire instrument with moist heat.

I note the Axminster liberon pearl glue is identified as interior use only (as is titebond) - I would question the water resistance.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Use cascamite. It IS fairly wet proof. Not totally though.

I think the standard aircraft glue was Aerolite 306..a urea formaldehyde type glue IIRC.

You painted one bit of wood with formic acid and the other with something made out of a powder paste. Set rock hard.

Theser glues were almost totally replaced by PVA and epoxy/synthetic resins repsectively..for non waterproof/waterproof applications.

Now I am prepared to admit that the acoustic properties of modern glues may be subtly different, but as far as structural properties go, the old 'natural' glues were more or less *rubbish*.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He wanted to keep it 'authentic' though. If that's not an issue then bog-standard Araldite is the stuff to go for in this instance.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Hmm. I haven't used bog standard araldite for years. Never got a good join without using an oven to set it.

Authentic glues would have been calves foot probably..maybe shellac and alcohol..'knotting' or 'stopper' would be the easiest way to get that.

Thats not even hugely waterproof either..traditional waterproofing was wax or tar, neither of which are supremely good adhesives.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've never had any problems with it - I usually warm the mix before application, particularly if I've added a pigment. I avoid the 'rapid' version though.

In this instance the authentic glue is Pine Pitch - it's an American 'split bore' flute. They were obviously prone to coming apart, as original examples are often bound with hide ties.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard