Nasties in the toilet

I realise that this project doesn't meed the usual high standards of some d-i-yers here. However I thought you'd be amused if nothing else.

Here's my solution to the problem:

's a 20 litre plastic container with the bottom cut off at an angle with a hinged flap attached, inserted into the seat of a long-drop toilet for a mountain hut.

Just visible under the seat is a black plastic pipe with about 50 holes in it for flushing. The pipe goes outside to a tap. The tap was rather stiff so I attached a long lever to it, and a cord that goes through a hole that is pulled for a flush. Note the knot in the cord to limit the length of pull. There's another knot inside.

's the problem. The ladies don't like these nasties that live just underneath the toilet seat. Actually I don't think they know the nasties are there! And the smell is greatly reduced.

there is a non-return valve in the water supply. The valve was 50% of the cost of the whole system.

Reply to
Matty F

If they don't know they're there how can they dislike them? Are you just making an assumption? You're the one calling them nasties.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Steve Walker

They are NZ cave wetas. On a 17" screen they are about real size. The pieces of wood they are clinging to are 4 inches wide.

Reply to
Matty F

I showed that photo to SWMBO... the expression on her face was plenty information as to their desirability! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Heh - "god of ugly things" according to wikipedia....

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm told they are quite harmless and don't bite. Inluding the legs and feelers they are about 12 inches long.

Reply to
Matty F

Think of it from the nasties point of view, literally. :0)

Reply to
Scabbydug

Why should women be any more squeamish than men?

I know many big men who won't go near a swarm of bees but leave it to an old woman - me.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher coughed up some electrons that declared:

Call me ghey, but there is no way on this planet any of my extraneous parts are going near the "aliens in miniature" depicted in the photograph!

My solution would have been to sulphur-bomb[1] the dunny, wait 10 minutes then venture in.

Tim

[1] Cup of sulphur + some random oxidiser, set light, throw in and see how the little gits like a face full of SO2
Reply to
Tim Southerwood

Dunno. Guess its how they are briought up.

You wouild have thought that also being brought up to fdeal with full nappies, they wouldn;t be.

Nowt a s quer as fok..

And I know the reverse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Women sit on a toilet seat 8 times as often as men. So that would be 8 times the risk of a cave weta leaping on to the exposed flesh. Besides it's very sensible to avoid bees as they sting, and wetas don't bite (so I'm told). And there are thousands of bees in a swarm, while there are only at most a few dozen wetas in the toilet.

Reply to
Matty F

Have you allowed for what happens to the cubic metre of "sediment" in the toilet pit?

Reply to
Matty F

You've counted???

Why would they want to? And what about the ninth time a man sits down?

Swarming bees rarely sting, they don't sting very often anyway.

So what's the problem?

So?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I would expect a weta in the chuff is not going to be comfortable...

still, whatever floats your boat.

Reply to
John Rumm

Matty F coughed up some electrons that declared:

I expect half of the "sediment" thinks "crap, I don't like this stinky gas" and flies upwards at a rate of knots, along with the mosquitoes[1] and other bugs who were hovering halfway down the hole, thenceforth out of the door. Double bonus...

Cheers

Tim

[1] A friend of mine discovered this dubious "fact" whilst in the Rockies. Wooden dunny, heard a general background buzzing, worked out why in all probability so mentally prepared himself. As soon as he'd dropped the payload, he dived off to one side, just in time as a swarm of mozzies came flying up out of the hole. Could have been most inconvenient.
Reply to
Tim Southerwood

It was reported a day ago that people go to the toilet about 8 times a day. That sounds reasonable to me.

If you were a weta and a large pink object invaded your house, you might want to go on the attack.

This is all irrelevant. Until I put my anti-smell device on the toilet, nobody knew there were wetas in there. I was expecting a discussion about the anti-smell device, and how wonderful or stupid it was, or how I should have made it different.

My anti-smell device:

it also stops snakes and crocodiles from coming up from the sewer pipes.

Reply to
Matty F

So they weren't attacking large pink (or any colour) objects.

What's all the fuss about?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I had a good look on Google for wetas (very intersting). They seem very harmless. I did not search on Google for a large pink object.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth