Nanny stateism

I recently found that TPTB seem to be reducing acetone availability. Our local Superdrug will now only sell me a single pathetically-small bottle, which is next to useless for most household cleaning tasks where only acetone will do.

It's this kind of nanny stateism that makes one search for what kind of dodgy purposes the substance can also be used for - making various explosives or chloroform it seems.

However totally by chance I discovered that Screwfix "No Nonsense Foam Gun Cleaner" in a big old 500ml aerosol is almost completely acetone, so good enough for me, and I now have a relatively bulk supply easily available with no pointless questioning.

Stock up now!!!

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Yeah - where are you ?

I can add it to the trich and other banned substances I have stashed away

Reply to
geoff

Are you top posting here old chap?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide for my water into wine and back into water trick.

Reply to
Graham.

Snap, I've a couple of winchesters of similar BDH solvents from a certain era that I occasionally use to solve contaminant issues!

Reply to
Clot

No. Ammonium nitrate fertilizer. White crystalline powder.

Indeed, but there is no need to mix that with ammonium nitrate unless you want a smell along with the bang.

Reply to
Roger Dewhurst

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Roger Dewhurst saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon

I was about to say the same thing.

Roger Dewhurst

Nothing petrol powered on farm other than chain saws and lawnmower. Any precautionary dilution rate?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Used to have various CFCs, but all used up now.

On my hack/shopping bike the bottle is a 500ml hydrofluoric acid one - HDPE and v. strong (it's only for hand-rinsing after the p***ture fairy has visited). Pity that the label's disintegrated.

Reply to
PeterC

Oh. about 10:1 for a 2 stroke should be OK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not for a few years now.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'd use it at no more than 10%, preferably 5%.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Lamb saying something like:

My first job at a lab saw me tip various combustibles into my scooter fuel tank. Benzene, toluene, etx and nothing untoward happened.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You can buy 32 from a supermarket, more from a chemist.

16 will kill most people.
Reply to
dennis

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

OK. I might have found a disposal facility at Watford:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You'll be asking for commiserations on having crashed the second-best Ferrarri next...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Maxie, it must have been the Xams booze on your part that made you write that drivel.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Never tried a Ferrari. Too flashy for my taste. The four Lotuses I've tried to fit into were too cramped (6'6", long legs), but the Porsche Boxster and Carrera are fine. Pity I can't afford them, so it's back to the Cavalier again (16 years old this week, only 88k miles, still going strong).

Late follow-up due to being away on holiday.

Reply to
Peter Twydell