Nanny is awake again

bloody government can't let it lie can they?

Reply to
cynic

> This bloody government can't let it lie can they?

Which bits are particularly objectionable to you?

Reply to
OG

>>> This bloody government can't let it lie can they?

I'm amused by the "Printed on 75% recycled paper" legend on P2. In a PDF?

Otherwise, who the hell knows? It's 107 pages.

Reply to
Huge

>>> This bloody government can't let it lie can they?

Well for one thing there'll be an increase in the number of people getting scalded as they try to top up the temperature of their bath with boiling water from a kettle because the hot tap will only be able to deliver a pathetic 48C

Yet another example of the government pushing new measures through on the quiet. These proposals affect everyone yet they've given this virtually no publicity. I expect they've circulated copies of the "consultation Document" to lots of interested parties who stand to gain by increased sales of their products and services so they can claim overwhelming support for their proposals.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Huge obviously know little about commercial printing...

Reply to
Jerry

In article , cynic scribeth thus

Nope... gives them something to do to keep them occupied and employed just like that mob in the house of commons...

Reply to
tony sayer

Are they proposing to specify these thermostatic taps for the wash basin also then?

Reply to
Jerry

This bloody government can't let it lie can they?

You might summarise the bits you object to as many won't have time to wade through a doc. this size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No.

So there's another danger. Someone rigs up a length of hose from the basin to the bath. They stand up in the bath and lean over to the washbasin to add more hot water, lose their balance and slip due to not much friction between feet and bath, knock themselves unconscious and drown in the bath.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I only skimmed through the first few pages and may have misread it, but I thought it said this measure was not being introduced because the cost to risk analysis wasn't favourable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh come on they could slip just getting into a bath and do that, which is probably far more likely if they try getting into 'scalding' (over hot) water...

Reply to
Jerry

Yes, I missed that bit among the 107 pages. On page 6 we have:

"1.11 The Government would very much like to support a provision that would help to reduce the risk of scalding incidents from sanitary appliances. However, our initial analysis suggests that the cost of requiring the installation of TMVs are considerably out of proportion to the benefits that would be realised, even if we were to only limit the provision to baths in new homes. Unfortunately, this means that it is not currently possible for us to include this provision as a definitive proposal in this document. However, through this consultation we are seeking more information and evidence from our stakeholders on the likely costs and benefits of installing protective measures such as TMVs. If this information and evidence changes the analysis of costs and benefits favourably we will reconsider the position in formulating our final policy."

But the underlying theme looks like they want to introduce it if they can find a justification for doing so. I wonder who they regard as their "stakeholders"? I'm sure all the commercial bodies with a vested interest will try to provide them with convincing arguments in favour and the government won't make much effort to publicise the matter to the general public who would also be concerned in the practical applications of the proposal.Apparently it's already introduced in Scotland so I suppose it's just a matter of time.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I suppose statistics from hospital A&E departments are driving this.

Reply to
stuart noble

=A0 London SW

Where do I begin?

Don't put any faith in the con arguments - this government loves placing more restrictions on the public

Yet another "approved persons scheme" in the offing

another reason for the jobsworths to enter your property to inspect for compliance

Unneccessary expense of adding thermostatic mixing valves when the non- darwinnian failure section of the population manages perfectly satisfactorily

Legionella growth in the outlet branch

If we simply roll over and play possum these proposals will be in place before you know it. Part P was a non starter to anyone with a brain but its here now and likely to stay here.

Reply to
cynic

If the statistics are as well massaged as those used to support part P we're doomed, doomed I tell you!

Reply to
cynic

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

>> This bloody government can't let it lie can they?

I noticed there is continual mention of 'Self-certification', which makes me wonder if there's a move behind the scenes to have plumbing controlled in a watery version of Part P. I'd not be surprised if the Instute of Plumbing or some other body is wangling to become the issuing body for official certs of competence for pipe-benders.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I solved that problem.. I put a 43C mixer immediately after the combi.. there are no *hot* water outlets and only a tefal one cup to heat water.

Reply to
dennis

They already went down this path and had a compitent persons scheme set up. No one joined it. Government had to abandon it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd like to see you jump into a bath at a pathetic 48C

FWIW I've got one of these TMVs on the basin in my loo: very handy to be just able to rinse your hands under running hot water with no risk of it being too hot.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Problem is though that if the water coming out of the tap is only at 48C it will be decidely *cool* by the time it's heated up a cast iron bath. Besides which, if you have a long soak and want to re-vitalise the water, topping up with 48C water ain't going to do much!

Reply to
Roger Mills