Name That Plaster / Vacuum recommendations

I've been stripping plaster off in preparation for some plumbing, damp-proofing and general building work.

Although the damp-proofing requests that any plaster is removed to a height of 1m, I've decided to have just about everything in the room renewed, plaster, ceiling, new sills etc.

As a result I have a couple of questions:

1) The plaster I've removed seems to fall into two camps; the original plaster which seems to crumble when it's taken off (in fact fine dark dust pours out of the cracks as soon as the surface is breached). This is very dense, and I can only fill a rubble bag to about half-way before it becomes too heavy and in danger of splitting.

The second newer type seems to have a good hold, but comes off in large sections when it does move. It seems slightly porous behind, and I'd estimate that it's 1/4 to 1/5 of the weight of the older stuff (like polystyrene by comparison.

Pretty thin information, but any clues as to which each is?

2) I need to prepare the walls in advance by removing the plaster, radiators, skirting boards etc. I've stripped the majority of it off with an SDS drill, a cold chisel, and a fair amount of swearing. What else can I do to ensure that the surface is suitable?. They are rough-stone faced rubble filled walls for the most part (some breeze-blocks). Do I need to go over with a wire brush or something similar to remove the smaller traces of loose plaster? Any suggestions for something electrical and less time-consuming than doing it by hand?

3) I've completely broken my Henry vacuum by using it to clear up dust and rubble for extended periods. It was red-hot to the touch, and now lifeless. Any recommendations for a replacement? I'll be getting a separate "house" vacuum, so it just needs to be robust with similar/better suction.

Reply to
Sean Inglis

the heavy one sounds like sand and cement which comes off dusty or it could be lime if the house is pre wwII. The lightweight plaster is the same as the plaster you see in B&Q etc and has pearlite or vermiculite in the agregate to make it light to use so the plasterers can get more done before they drop dead. It has subtly better insulation too.

So long as the loose stuf is off its ok to replaster.

Im not sure any vacume cleaner can cope with rubble. I always try to get the worst up with a brush, then mop and then vacume. I think a Henry is as tough as you get for a sensible price.

Reply to
marvelus

Just bought an Earlex wet n dry from Argos =A339 does exactly what it says on the tin !! used for exactly the same as what you are doing

Reply to
Staffbull

Bugger, spousal pressure forced the purchase of a "James" at =A399. I've already used it with sufficient vigour that it would be impossible to return.

Reply to
seani

If you got it from argos and less than 16 days ago you are entitled to take it back anyhoo!! not proud to say but i've used them for certain "loan" items in the past. Electric chainsaw for example when I had one small tree to fell. :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Can't really comment on something that can be used for 'rubble', but if you are getting a new "house" vacuum, then I can recommend SEBO

.. We've got an 'X4 extra' that is a few years old now. Every year I service it (filters) and it works a treat. Comes with a

5yrs parts warranty as standard. It replaced our Dyson, which became irrepairable and the insurance company 'wrote it off' - so we bought this instead.
Reply to
John

I must shamefacedly admit that I gave in to Currys in a moment of abandon. I think the plan is to keep the old set of tools for clearing up crap, and the new set for more domestic purposes.

Reply to
seani

It's not an entitlement.

So next time you buy anything from Argos I hope you get the one that some other prat has used already.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It's not an entitlement.

So next time you buy anything from Argos I hope you get the one that some other prat has used already.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

they send em on to ex catalouge places, numpty

Reply to
Staffbull

So explain the lawnmower which when opened was found to have "Happy Birthday Daddy" written inside the box. Explain the car fitting kit for a CD walkman that had plastic bags opened and half the bits assembled. They had obviuosly been purchased and returned under the 14 day "guarantee".

Get your facts right before calling people numpty.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Damn, you must be unlucky, or your local Argos store doesn't like you!! what are the chances of getting TWO used items. Do you do the lottery? Also the reaon I told you that was I asked one of the staff at the time what happens to the returned items, and they told me they were passed on to ex cat people.

Reply to
Staffbull

With regards to the vac, get a Dewalt DC500

They are great for all builders mess, wet and dry.

I have one and it hasn't failed me yet. Can be 18v cordless or corded and picks up all manner of dust, debris and water! Even fine plaste dust does not bugger it and you can simple wash the filter to return i to new!

Check ebay out and you can pick one up for around £5

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy