Name That Flue

A little help please. We're thinking of changing the gas fire in the lounge (a Robinson Willey Gem Flame) for a more modern type appliance.

The flue appears to go into the 'cavity wall', then appears in the loft where it goes into a spiral stainless-steel round pipe which feeds to a ridge tile on the roof.

What 'rating' flue is this likely to be?

Many thanks, Steve

Reply to
StevieBoy

Thanks Ed, having found a couple of pictures of precast block flues I can confirm that your identification from my brief description seems to be correct.

Steve

Reply to
StevieBoy

From your point of view very limiting. It does sound like a precast block flue but of what vintage has a great bearing on the possible applications. The dimensions of the precast blocks has undergone at least three changes and older versions are unsuitable for fitting new fires to. In addition the spiral stainless steel pipe might be single skin which is a no-no and will need changing to double skin insulated. The ridge tile might be allright but these are also included in the evolution of designs which have taken place. Measure the inner dimensions of the flue blocks, check the construction of the stainless pipe and make sure you advise your intended supplier/installer of this data to assist in any possible selection choice.

Reply to
John

Many thanks for the info.

The house is 19 years old if it's of any use.

Quite why they couldn't have put in a proper chimney when it was built we don't really know ...

Steve

Reply to
StevieBoy