Name for latching door stop/stay

I'm looking for a supplier of a type of latching door stop/stay that I have seen on boats. Without a meaningful name the search is proving difficult. I'll try to describe the gadget:

The idea is that the door opens to, say, 90deg and comes up against a bracket level with the top of the door and bolted to the hinge wall. As it approaches the bracket (and attached buffer) the top of the door lifts and passes below a weighted latch. This latch drops in front of the door preventing it from closing. The latch is lifted to allow the door to close. The bracket looks a bit like a one of the mounts for an aerial mast IIRC.

Any ideas?

This is intended to prevent the (aluminium) door opening too far and bending the frame where it encounters the brickwork around the doorway

- guess how I know that this will happen? At the moment SWMBO is in a sulk because I warned her of the risk 10 mins before she allowed the wind to catch the door .

There is too great a space below the door for any stops and I don't want a nasty post sticking up from the patio.

Of course, I will be delighted to read of any better/simpler/more elegant solutions.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
RJS

Do you mean the sort of clip that holds the flap in a pub counter in the up position? Can't think what they are called though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Similar things are used for lift-up bar counter hatches

is to use some form of restrictor to prevent the door opening too far, these are used on windows.

How about a shrub in a tub on the patio?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They might be called 'lift-up bar counter hatches' :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Every home should have one!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There is also another similar idea, which I have found very effective on both of the small doors of my garage...

A flat steel bar, pivoted onto the frame so it can fold out of the way as the door closes. As the door is opened a latch drops down which prevents the door opening further and retains it open. You pull a cord to allow the door to be closed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Spot on!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Bingo to the catch. I obviously don't spend enough time in pubs ;-) But I have seen this catch on boat doors - honest!

The tub would prevent the over-opening of the door, but not prevent it from slamming shut. With possibly unrepeatable consequences for my deaf cat!

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

A pneumatic damper like are used on hatchback car doors?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

AKA dashpot

Richard Savage ? - blast from the past there ....

Reply to
geoff

Hello Geoff

Not so very far into the past, but indeed am still Richard Savage! IIRC we corresponded about Scantronic alarms?

Rgds

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage