Name for fastener

sometimes seen on the drop-down part of trucks ... it has a lozenge shaped plate of metal with a cutout in the centre which is fixed into a bolt which screws into the substrate. The flap has a hole which this faster passes through, and you then slide the metal plate which drops down and locks the flap in place.

Can you get small (c. 5-10mm ?) ones for a DIY project to screw into wood ?

Reply to
Jethro

It is called an antiluce.

You can get small ones for DIY trailer building but possibly not as small as you want. They are generally bolt on or weld in.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Great - thanks. My vague plan, is, having bought and built our BBQ/ Smoking shelter:

fit a couple of plastic sheets for windproofing when not BBQing. Originally I was going to drill a large hole underneath a small one and join the two with a channel the width of a screw. Then I figured that since sheet plastic can be a pig to work, these fasteners might be better, if they can screw into wood.

Oh well, I shall experiment.

Reply to
Jethro

There are some about with 8mm shafts - not sure if the op was specifying shaft clearance or the diameter of the main toggle bit:

John Rumm

maybe my original idea of cutting a keyhole into the plastic is the way to go ...

Reply to
Jethro

You can get threaded inserts that go into wood - might work with one of the bolt ended ones?

Reply to
John Rumm

Nowhere near as strong but used to hold my tonneau cover on:-)

Turnbuckle fastener....

Tim Lamb

As they rely on weight, small ones don't work too well anyway. For smaller sizes, you start to need some sort of spring in there, hence the Dzus fastener.

Reply to
Andy Dingley