Mystified

Hi all. I've been searching ebay for a corner chisel and came across this from a seller in america.

number 270181316687 - STANLEY #29 CORNER CHISEL 1/4 & 3/8

I can't figure it out.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

I don't think so. Looks more like a tyre lever

Reply to
Andy Hall

================================== Strange that it's marked 1/4" + 3/8" though. It certainly doesn't look as if it could do much chiselling - certainly not like a conventional corner chisel.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It for removing the arris (sharp corner where two timber faces meet) from joinery - e.g. on doors.

You simply drag it along the edge to produce a small radius on the corner.

Reply to
dom

Well it's certainly got 1/4 and 3/8, and what looks like the Stanley logo, stamped on it. A case of two nations divided by a common language maybe!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Can anyone vouch for the pros and cons of the other corner chisels on ebay? The draper - item number 120176482219 or the cheapo - item number 160174807729

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

I think the holes are the clue. They are machined such that they have sharp edges. It looks like you hold it with the free end arcing away from you, and apply it to the corner of a length of timber such that the corner of it is lined up with the centre of the hole, and then drag it along. The sharp edge of the hole then pares away the corner of the wood.

So completely different use from the tool we would call a corner chisel.

Reply to
John Rumm

The draper is a trend and thats the best of two.

Reply to
George

{Erk!} I was looking at some router bits on Draper's site and got my merds wixed up.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Machine mart do the trend if you have one local? virtually the same price as the ebay one when you put the P&P on it.

George

it.http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/corner-chisel/path/...> king-hand-tools

If I lean forward from desk at work I can see a machine-mart. So Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

it.http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/corner-chisel/path/...> > king-hand-tools

No probleem,actually the ebay one is the same price but dearer with the P&P added.

So as the saying goes always look up the price if possible? before buying off ebay

Reply to
George

Dead right, seen them at Axminster Power Tools. Whats the point of a corner chisel anyway? Easier to use a normal chisel surely?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Convenient if you are using a router to cut recesses for hinges - slightly easier to get precise alignment in the corner.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Designed for when routing hinge rebates etc. The corner chisel reaches the parts the router cutter cannot reach.

Reply to
John Rumm

Are you sure? I've used the smallest straight flute bit to get near enough and when the hinge has been screwed home into the rebate it made its own well formed corner,right snug fit as well.

Reply to
George

There ya go

George

fluted cutter, but that leaves you too much radius in the corner. Hence a quick tap with a corner chisel fixes it.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's not a chisel, it's a plane (!) The idea is that it slightly rounds off _external_ edges, but they're fiddly to hold at just the right angle and don't work at all well. Veritas / Lee Valley still sell them today, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've a few corner chisels, but don't really like them. They're no use for cutting mortices, only for final paring. They're also a damn nuisance to sharpen well - you have to get them sharp right into the corner with no protruding spur, otherwise you're better off with two chisels.

In Portobello Market last week I saw a corner chisel for sale,but with a

60° acute angle, not a right angle - now what's that all about?
Reply to
Andy Dingley

For 60 degree hinges, of course.

Reply to