Mystery smell from woodburner

I've got an old woodburner like this one:

started using it 5 years ago and always notice a smell when it's first fired up. It used to only smell if it hadn't been used for a while, but now it seems to smell all the time.

It does't smell like smoke - it's more like dust burning off. It's actually quite a nasty smell!

Before I strip it down and clean it all, can anyone suggest where the smell might be coming from?

Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
Bodgit

it IS dust burning off.

Anywhere you cant get a brush, obviously ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assumed that the smell should stop after a good burn, but it seems to keep coming back. I'm sure it's not that dusty here!

Reply to
Bodgit

Are all the seals around the flue intact and has the chimney been swept and has a good draught and clear of debris?

The reason I ask is that we had a similar fire a few years ago and it smelled. When we got rid of it we found a dead pigeon next to the flue and some rather mouldy soot, mortar, and general old chimney deposits. All this had built up over the years by the previous owner and when the fire was in use it used to back-draught ever so slightly and we got the nice (not) smell of dead pigeon and mould.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

I believe that most house dust is actually dead skin cells. What does burning skin smell like? :)

Reply to
Matty F

Sweep chimney, remove any bottom caps on flue and remove ash thats in there. Dust it but not with polish.

Reply to
mogga

Mmmm. That sounds lovely!

We don't use the fire particularly often as it's a pig to get going properly. We only really use it at the weekends, so it's probably lit about 20-30 times a year. We haven't had the chimney swept for about 2 years so I suppose it's about time!

The whole thing really needs stripping down and renovating, as it's a bit knackered in places! I'll look out for dead animals while I'm doing it.

Thanks for the warning!

Reply to
Bodgit

Pretty similar to burning hair or feathers. Keratin etc.

So could well be crow up chimney.

They are always falling down mine. Some get out, some fall all the way down and I can let them out of the stove, some die and fall down to where I can pull them out piece meal, and one day, one will die and get stuck where I cant reach it. And probably stink until its dessicated enough to fall down to where it burns up.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll look out for dead animals while I'm doing it.

Or Father Christmas?

Reply to
Ash