Mystery of Ikea plug

I bought 2 very nice angle lamps from Ikea to light my computer bench, but both failed after a couple of weeks.

These are 12 volt lamps with a transformer attached to the 3-pin plug.

I dis-assembled the plug, as I thought there was probably a fuse in it. There wasn't, but what I found mystifying is that both the primary and the secondary coil appeared to have infinite resistance, although there was no evidence of any burning in either case.

Could there be some other explanation of this?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Thermal fuse hidden under the winding, or the wrap around the winding.

Reply to
dingbat

Disconnect 1 wire or both from the lamps housing and connect another 12v source to the lamp, if they light up problem solved. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

As someone suggested, a thermal cutout you can't see, a failed connection (are there any visible solder joints), or just a simple failure. These transformers in plugs run quite hot and I suspect some have a very small margin of "safety" between what they can handle and what they are asked to handle. Take them back to Ikea, they should change or refund.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

The message from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

I've had Ikea transformers die in the past but the seem to have got a lot better recently. If there were no requirement for the output to be isolated then I'd suggest it's an autotransformer, so losing one connection could appear to take out both windings. However, since they probably do have to be isolated then it probably isn't that.

Reply to
Guy King

IKEA

It's Swedish for CRAP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the middle one of icky, ickier, ickiest

Reply to
Paul Herber

Did you hear their claim that 10% of europeans are now conceived on an Ikea bed?

If that is true, I recon it must be well soggy by now! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have this mental image of one of their test rigs set up to simulate this...

Wonder what the counter would register ?

Reply to
lairdy

The message from snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com contains these words:

Wonder what the product name is? Something like BONKA or SHAGGA or FUKON probably.

At one point they had a range of bathroom towels called SANNI.

Reply to
Guy King

5.6 on the Richter scale!!
Reply to